Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Supple (Aghadoe)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Brooke (Aghadoe) Mary Brooke, daughter of Arthur Brooke of the Broke/Brooke family of Great Oakley, Northamptonshire, married Richard Supple of Aghadoe, county Cork and had a son, Richard Brooke Supple, who eventually inherited both the Supple estate and the Brooke estate in Northamptonshire. Richard took the surname Brooke and the original surname of the Supple family, De Capell. In 1788 Richard marrried Mary Worge and in 1803 he was created a baronet. He had two sons. The eldest son, Sir Arthur De Capell Broke (spelt his name with only one 'o'), was an author of travel books. At the time of Griffith's Valuation his Irish estate was comprised of townlands in the parishes of Killeagh and Mogeely, barony of Imokilly and Inchinabacky and Dungourney, barony of Barrymore. Sir Arthur died in 1858 and was succeeded by his brother, Sir William De Capell Brooke. Captain Sir William Brooke of Market Harborough, England, owned 2,132 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. William Davis and his son Roger Green Davis were agents to this estate in the early 19th century.
Supple (Aghadoe) The Supple family were said to be descended from the De Capells of county Cork and they were related to the Smythes of Ballynatra, county Waterford. In 1714 Richard Supple married Mary Fitzgerald and they had an only son, Richard Supple of Aghadoe, who married Mary Brooke, niece and heiress of Wheeler Brooke of Great Oakley Hall, Kettering, Northamptonshire . Their son, Richard De Capell Brooke, 1st Baronet, born 1758, inherited both the Supple and Brooke estates. There was also an Edward Supple living at Supple's Court near Castlemartyr, county Cork, in the mid 18th century. Another Edward Supple maried Letitia, eldest daughter of Viscount Gough in 1836. He later took the additional name of Collis. see http://myhome.ispdr.net.au/~mgrogan/cork/supple.htm