Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Clarke (Carrigtohill)

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Travers History suggests that the Travers family acquired much of the land fomerly owned by the Abbey of Timoleague. Boyle Travers was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilnagross and Catherine Travers in the parish of Castleventry, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, while John Moore Travers held land in the parish of Ballinaboy, barony of Cork and Joseph Travers in the parish of Rostellan, barony of Imokilly. Kate Travers was also among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilkerranmore and Jonas and John M.Travers in the parish of Lislee, both in the barony of Ibane & Barryroe. The representatives of Robert Travers were among the principal lessors in the parish of Ballymodan, barony of Kinalmeaky. Jonas Travers had several commercial maritime interests as well as the development of the fishing industry on the Cork coast. In the 1870s, the representatives of Jonas Travers owned almost 1000 acres in county Cork, while Robert Travers of Timoleague owned over 700 acres, Henry B. Travers of Ballymacowen House, Clonakilty, owned almost 500 acres and Captain Augustus Travers owned 860 acres.
Clarke (Carrigtohill) Descended from a merchant family of Cork city, William Clarke was created a baronet in 1804 in recognition of his military service in the British Army. His eldest son Sir William Henry St Lawrence Clarke 2nd Baronet was born in 1801 and in 1827 married Elizabeth Barbara only child and heir of John Moore Travers of Clifton, county Cork. The 2nd Baronet assumed the additional surname of Travers in 1853. In the mid 19th century the Clarke estate was mainly in the parishes of Carrigtohill, barony of Barrymore and Mogeely, barony of Imokilly and in the 1870s amounted to 737 acres. At the same time Lady Clarke Travers of Rosmore, county Cork and Hyde Park, London, is recorded as the owner of 1,432 acres in county Cork.