Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Collis/Cooke Collis


Estate(s)

Name Description
Collis/Cooke Collis The Collis estate was in the parishes of Clondulane and Leitrim, barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork. The Reverend G. Atkins Collis also held land in the parish of Ballyhooly, barony of Fermoy. In the 1870s the Reverend Dr Maurice Atkin Cooke Collis of Queenstown owned 5,177 acres in county Cork and 664 acres in county Tipperary. Reports of the sale of the estate of John Butler in the barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary, in April 1866 indicate that the purchaser was Robert G. Collis. Edward S. Collis owned 671 acres in county Cork.
Cooke (Cordangan) This branch of the Cooke family were descended from Peter Cooke, a younger brother of Thomas and Edward Cooke, who founded the Castle Cooke and Kiltinane families. Burke (1886) records that Peter purchased the castle and lands of Knockgraffon, county Tipperary from Sir Fenton Aylmer in 1687 [Thomas Lalor Cooke writes that he purchased them from Sir William Fenton, see Ms 25,297 p. 52]. His son, Joseph, married twice and had sons named John, William, Joseph, Phanuel and Peter. The eldest son, John Cooke of Cordangan, succeeded his father. Another son, Joseph of Gurranegreny, was the grandfather of Richard Cooke of Borrisoleigh, father of Thomas Lalor Cooke, family historian and Crown Solicitor of county Leix in the 1840s. Richard's wife Mary was a first cousin of Thomas Lalor of Cregg. The papers of Thomas Lalor Cooke give detailed accounts of the Lalors and Cookes and associated families. By the mid 19th century Joseph and the Reverend John Cooke both held some land in the parish of Knockgraffon, barony of Middlethird, Thomas Cooke held part of Cordangan, barony of Clanwilliam from the Smith Barrys, while Fennell (Phanuel) Cooke held land in the parishes of Buolick and Fennor, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. In January 1855 the estate of Thomas Lalor Cooke assignee of George Clarke at Denninboy, King's County (county Offaly) and at Ballycahill and Kilcleary in the barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. In the 1870s the representatives of the Reverend John Cooke, Weston-super-Mare owned 611 acres in county Tipperary. John W. Cooke of Fortwilliam, Borrisoleigh, owned 482 acres at the same time.