Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Abercromby


Estate(s)

Name Description
Anderson (Fermoy) Hajba writes that John Anderson was a Scottish entrepreneur who came to Cork in 1780. He was a merchant and banker and was very involved in the building of the mail coach roads between Dublin and Cork. In the early 1790s he bought some of the Forward estate beside the Blackwater River and developed the town of Fermoy. Lewis writes that he also bought the manor of Buttevant from the Earl of Barrymore and that it was sold again by the Andersons in 1831 to Viscount Doneraile. John Anderson eventually became bankrupt and died in 1820. Sir Robert Abercromby purchased much of the Anderson interest in the town of Fermoy. In 1791 John Anderson had married Elizabeth Semple of Waterford as his second wife and they had two sons and a daughter. Their eldest son was Sir James Caleb Anderson of Buttevant Castle, a promoter of steam locomotion. He married Caroline Shaw in 1814 and had two sons and six daughters. Sir James died in 1861 and the baronetcy became extinct. One of his daughters married Charles Putland. The Andersons held land in the parishes of Aghacross and Fermoy at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In January 1852 the estate of Thomas Tangney, assignee of John William Anderson, a bankrupt, at West and East Grange and Boherboy, barony of Condons and Clangibbon was advertised for sale.
Abercromby This Scottish family were located in Banffshire. In 1886 their seats were recorded as Forglen House and Fermoy, Ireland. Sir Robert Abercromby 5th Baronet purchased much of the town of Fermoy after the death of John Anderson in 1820 and in Griffith's Valuation he is recorded as the immediate lessor of much of Fermoy. His grandson Sir Robert John Abercromby of Forglen, Aberdeenshire owned 434 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.