Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Forward (Fermoy)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Austen/Austin (Cork) Henry Austin was granted over 3,200 acres in the barony of Clanmorris, county Kerry in 1669. This family also held land in county Limerick. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey Samuel Austen from county Cork held land in the parish of Particles, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick. The rental of over 900 acres at Mortlestown and Moneen in the barony of Coshlea was advertised for sale in April 1851 by Elizabeth Austen and Charles Arthur Tennant and Joseph Mason Tennant. The Freeman's Journal gave details of the purchasers in May 1851. In 1854, the same parties offered for sale lands in the baronies of Cork, Ibane & Barryroe, and Barrymore, in the Encumbered Estates Court. Austen property at Skeaf, barony of East Carbery, including Skeaf House, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1851. It was, however, purchased by the owner, William Austen. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the representatives of Joseph Austin were among the principal lessors in the parish of Templeomaley, barony of Ibane & Barryroe, county Cork. Edward and William Austin held townlands in the parishes of Ballinaboy, barony of Kerrycurrihy and Inishkenny, barony of Cork, at the same time. William Forward Austin held land in the parish of Fermoy, county Cork. William Austen of Bath was the proprietor of over 800 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.
Anderson (Fermoy) Hajba writes that John Anderson was a Scottish entrepreneur who came to Cork in 1780. He was a merchant and banker and was very involved in the building of the mail coach roads between Dublin and Cork. In the early 1790s he bought some of the Forward estate beside the Blackwater River and developed the town of Fermoy. Lewis writes that he also bought the manor of Buttevant from the Earl of Barrymore and that it was sold again by the Andersons in 1831 to Viscount Doneraile. John Anderson eventually became bankrupt and died in 1820. Sir Robert Abercromby purchased much of the Anderson interest in the town of Fermoy. In 1791 John Anderson had married Elizabeth Semple of Waterford as his second wife and they had two sons and a daughter. Their eldest son was Sir James Caleb Anderson of Buttevant Castle, a promoter of steam locomotion. He married Caroline Shaw in 1814 and had two sons and six daughters. Sir James died in 1861 and the baronetcy became extinct. One of his daughters married Charles Putland. The Andersons held land in the parishes of Aghacross and Fermoy at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In January 1852 the estate of Thomas Tangney, assignee of John William Anderson, a bankrupt, at West and East Grange and Boherboy, barony of Condons and Clangibbon was advertised for sale.
Forward (Fermoy) The Abbey lands at Fermoy were in the possession of the Boyle family, Earls of Cork from at least the mid 17th century. They were leased to various persons and the interest was left by Barabara, wife of Thomas Hodder, to her nephew William Forward (died 1764). Her will was dated 1724. John Anderson bought the Forward interest in the late 18th century and developed the town. http://www.blackwater.ie/fermoy/history.htm