Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Carey (Careysville)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Carey (Careysville) Peter Carey, son and heir of Captain Peter Carey and his wife Sarah, was granted Ballymackpatricke and other lands in the barony of Condons, county Cork in 1667. Ballymacpatrick was later known as Careysville. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Kiley Carey held land in the parishes of Clondulane, Kilgullane and Macroney, barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork. His parents appear to be Peter Carey of Careysville and Elizabeth Kelly who married in 1793, see http://fosbery.tripod.com/CareyFamily.htm. In June 1859 lands belonging to Edward K. Carey amounting to 388 acres in the barony of Condons and Clangibbon were offered for sale. In the 1870s Edward Keily Carey's estate amounted to 1,670 acres. Careysville was inherited by the Montgomerys after the death of Edward K. Carey in the mid 1880s.
Montgomery (Killee) This family appear to have connections with the Grey Abbey, county Down family. Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland (1904) records George Montgomery succeeded to the estates of his half brother Wriothesley De la Rue at Killee, county Cork, in 1734. His great grandson also named George married Elizabeth Jane Carey heiress to Careysville and the Montgomerys inherited that property. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend William Quinn Montgomery owned land in the parish of Marshalstown, barony of Condons and Clangibbon. In the 1870s the Montgomerys owned 1,482 acres in county Cork.