Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Nason


Estate(s)

Name Description
Nason There appear to be two branches of this family. One branch settled at Mellefontstown, county Cork in the 17th century and the other inherited through marriage the Newtown estate, Rathcormack, county Cork. At the end of the 18th century Richard Nason of the Mellefontstown family was living at Bettyville. In 1787 he married Catherine Sherlock and had seven daughters, who married members of the Nason, Gaggin, Crofts, Sherlock and Cotter families. The other branch of the Nason family was located at Kilavullen and Newtown. In 1779 John Nason of Newtown married Catherine Bruce and they had three sons John, William and the Reverend George who was resident in the rectory at Aghern in the mid 19th century. In 1808, John married Elizabeth Nason of Bettyville. Their eldest son, the Reverend William Henry Nason, was rector of Rathcormack. Henry T.K. Nason, John Nason and the representatives of Richard Nason held land in the parishes of Glanworth, Mallow and Clondulane, barony of Fermoy and Castlelyons, Gortroe and Templenacarriga, barony of Barrymore, county Cork in the mid 19th century. The 1,314 acre estate of Henry Thomas King Nason in the barony of West Carbery (East), Fermoy and Barrymore, held under fee farm grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners was advertised for sale. In November 1884 an estate of over 800 acres at Caherdesert and Caherduggan East, barony of Barrymore, Waterdyke, barony of Fermoy, county Cork and Drumbane, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, belonging to Arthur Nason was advertised for sale. Some of these lands were held on leases to Henry Thomas King Nason. In the 1870s a number of Nason family members held estates of 500+ acres. The head of the Newtown family the Reverend William Henry Nason owned 2,679 acres in county Cork.
Gaggin In 1824 the Reverend Richard Gaggin, rector of Clonmult, county Cork, married Catherine Foulke. He died in 1861. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Furlong, Richard Nason and the Rev Richard Gaggin jointly owned a townland in the parish of Shandrum barony of Orrery and Kilmore. The name Gaggin appears in the parishes of Carrigtohill, Clonmult and St Annes Shandon in the early 1850s. George Gaggin and Jane Boles married at Carrigtwohill, parish of Cloyne in 1830. George Gaggin of Shangarry, Castlemartyr owned 324 acres in the 1870s. William Gaggin married in 1835 Grizelda Lukey and had a son George Lukey Gaggin. In March 1872, November 1873 and April 1874 Ballyrichardmore the estate of the trustees for sale and Richard Nason Gaggin was advertised for sale. In November 1872 the estate of John Gaggin in the barony of Condons and Clangibbon was advertised for sale.