Grubb (Co Tipperary)
A family originally from Northamptonshire, John Grubb came to county Waterford in the mid 17th century and soon afterwards became a Quaker. By the beginning of the 18th century this family were located in the Clonmel area of county Tipperary where they were prominent as corn merchants, millers and drapers. "Burke's Irish Family Records" states that Samuel Grubb purchased Castle Grace, Clogheen, county Tipperary in 1820. Samuel had two sons who had children, Richard of Castle Grace and Henry Samuel of Clashleigh. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard and Samuel Grubb had extensive flour milling enterprises at Clogheen Market on lands held from Viscount Lismore. At the same time Benjamin Grubb held land in the parish of Kilcummer, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. In the 1870s Mrs Deborah Grubb of Clogheen owned 649 acres, Henry S. Grubb of Clashleigh owned 1,533 acres, Richard Grubb of Caher Abbey owned 635 acres and Richard Grubb of Castlegrace owned 1,664 acres in county Tipperary.