Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hendley


Estate(s)

Name Description
Hendley The Hendleys were established in the Fermoy locality of county Cork in the 17th century. Hajba writes that Matthias Hendley was agent to Sir Robert Abercromby in the late 1830s and 1840s. His son Matthias Christopher Hendley married Ann Leslie and held land in the parish of Clondulane in the 1850s. Another branch of the Hendley family lived at Downing. In 1833 William Spread Hendley of Downing, barony of Fermoy, county Cork, married Francis Galwey daughter of John Galwey of Rock Lodge, county Cork. In 1846 James Hendley of Downing married Alicia Minchin and had 3 sons and 6 daughters. Part of the Hendley estate at Downing was offered for sale in October 1855. Arthur Hendley is recorded as holding 2 townlands in the parish of Kilcrumper, barony of Fermoy, county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s Arthur Hendley of Downing owned 255 acres and Mathias Christopher Hendley of Mountrivers, Fermoy, owned 844 acres in county Cork.