Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Holmes (Ballyhoura)


Name Description
Holmes The Holmes family, who were granted the title Baron Heytesbury in 1828, held estates in counties Limerick, Waterford and Wicklow in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Limerick estate lay on the southern banks of the River Shannon, mainly in the baronies of Connello and Shanid (parish of Kilfergus) and around Kilmallock town, barony of Coshma. It was bought by Sir Robert Holmes in 1684, who may have been acting as agent for his brother Thomas. The estate in Waterford consisted of a quarter of the manor of Temple Michael, bought by Thomas Holmes in 1750. This Thomas Holmes was elevated to the peerage as Baron Holmes of Kilmallock in 1760 but the title became extinct four years later when he died childless. His estates passed to the Barons Heytesbury through the female line. Records relating to these estates are located in the Isle of Wight Record Office and refer to a number of families who held land from the Holmes in counties Limerick, Waterford and Wicklow. The Holmes family of Maiden Hall, county Limerick and Carrigmore, county Cork, would appear to be related to the Baron Holmes of Kilmallock and there is one reference to Godfrey Holmes of the parish of Effin in 1855 in the Heytesbury Papers.
Holmes (Ballyhoura) The representatives of Robert Holmes held at least five townlands in the parish of Imphrick, barony of Fermoy, county Cork, in the early 1850s. The Holmes family were resident at Holmesfort, Shinnanagh, county Cork in the early 19th century but the house fell into decay soon after. The Irish Tourist Association survey states that some of this property had previously belonged to the Roche family, Lords Fermoy. These Holmes are reputed to share a common ancestry with the Holmes of Kilmallock. In 1813 Major Thomas Cornelius Holmes, third son of Cornelius Holmes, married Matilda Bevan. By the mid 19th century they were leasing land to the Sherlock family who had also married into the Bevan family. The Shinanagh property was advertised for sale in 1852 (see Grove White).