Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Scully (Kilfeakle & Mantle Hill)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Commissioners of Woods and Forests In the first half of the 19th century the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, a state department, held land from the Crown in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, which they improved by various drainage schemes and other experimental improvements. At the time of Griffith's Valuation they held 5 townlands in the parish. The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by Nicholas Dunscombe (1,063 acres), Richard Tuohill (1,013 acres), James William Mackey (789 acres), Charles Mackey (587 acres) and Vincent Scully MP (1,014 acres). Kingswilliamstown and Glencollins Upper and Lower, were bought by Vincent Scully who sold them on in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1858 to Nicholas Dunscombe. By the mid 1870s the Commissioners of Woods and Forests only owned 25 acres in county Cork.
Scully (Kilfeakle & Mantle Hill) The Scullys of county Tipperary descend from Jeremiah Scully who was established at Cashel in the mid 17th century. James Scully (1737-1816) established a bank in the town of Tipperary. Jeremiah Scully held land in the parishes of Grean and Tuoghcluggin, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, while at the same time James and Rodolphus Scully held land in the parishes of Inishlounaght, Newchapel and Kilmurry, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary. William F. Scully of Ballinclough was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Islandikane and Kilbride, barony of Middlethird, county Waterford, at the same time. William Scully of Ballilnclough owned 1,354 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. Over 1000 acres of this estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in April 1861. Griffith's Valuation records the estate of Vincent Scully in the parishes of Donohill, Rathlynin, Relickmurry and Athassel, barony of Clanwilliam. William Scully also held land in some of these parishes. The estate of Vincent Scully consisting of 3,166 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary and Kingwilliamstown, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, was advertised for sale in November 1857. The Kingwilliamstown estate had been purchased a few years previously in the Encumbered Estates' Court from the Commissioners of Woods and Forests. The estate of Caroline Mackey, widow and executrix of Charles Mackey, at Tooreenclassagh, part of the Kingwilliamstown estate, was advertised for sale in February 1875. The Mackeys may have purchased from the Scully sale. In the 1870s James Scully of Elgin Road, Dublin, owned 2,662 acres, Rodolph Scully of Fitzgibbon Street, Dublin owned 2,695 acres and Vincent Scully of Castle Park, Cashel owned 5,599 acres in county Tipperary. In May 1878 Vincent Scully's estate in the baronies of Slievardagh, and Middlethird was advertised for sale.
Scully (Silverfort) The Scullys of Silverfort were a junior branch of the Scully family of Mantle Hill, county Tipperary, descended from Jeremiah Scully of Silverfort, third son of Roger Scully. Griffith's Valuation records Jeremiah Scully holding three townlands in the parish of Magorban, barony of Middlethird. In November 1857 the estate of Jeremiah E. Scully, over 600 acres in the barony of Middlethird, was advertised for sale by his assignee. In the 1870s Jerome J. Scully of Silverfort owned 231 acres in county Tipperary. The Scullys of Tullamain were another branch of the Silverfort Scullys. 382 acres at Tullamain were leased to Solomon Watson in the 1850s and a perpetual rent payable out of Tullamain was advertised for sale in March 1858, the estate of John, Francis and Denys Scully by James Scully their brother and guardian. Also perpetual yearly rents out of the lands of Rockwell and Marlhill and a portion of the lands of Killeenasteena, all in the barony of Middlethird, belonging to John, Francis and Denys Scully were offered for sale in February 1860 and again in December 1861. The Irish Times reported in December 1861 that the sale of the life interest of John Scully in Marlhill had been adjourned due to lack of bidding. It was apparently purchased later by George McDowell, whose trustees offered it for sale again in January 1867.