Landed Estates
NUI Galway

French (Marino)


Estate(s)

Name Description
French (Cuskinny) The French family of county Cork descend from Richard French of the city of Cork who died in 1651. By the mid 18th century Savage French was resident at Marino. Savage French of Cushkinny and Thomas George French of Marino were his grandsons. Sampson T. French of Queenstown was the owner of over 5300 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. He was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castlehaven, Kilmacabea and Myross, barony of West Carbery (East), Desertserges, Island and Kilmichael, barony of East Carbery, Templerobin, barony of Barrymore and St Finbarrs, barony of Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. At the same time William Temple French held land in the parishes of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, Inishcarra, Kilnaglory, barony of East Muskerry, Donaghamore and Grenagh, barony of Barretts, Kilcrumper, barony of Fermoy. An extensive family history source for this family exists at www.frenchfamilyassoc.com
French (Marino) Marino, county Cork, was the seat of the French family in the 18th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Thomas George French of Marino, county Cork, a younger brother of Savage French of Cuskinny, Queenstown, held land in the parishes of Cullen, barony of Duhallow, Donaghmore, Magourney, Carrigrohanebeg, Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, Donaghmore, barony of Barretts and Clonmel, barony of Barrymore. He died in 1866. In October 1852, 350 acres in the barony of Barretts, the property of Michael Phillip French was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The original lease was between Savage French and Michael French of Rath, county Cork. In the 1870s the representatives of Thomas G. French of Cork owned 1,559 acres in the county and Pasco French of Marino Passage owned 624 acres. Thomas G. French had one son and five daughters and his estate was eventually inherited in 1893 by his grandson Thomas George Stuart of county Tyrone who took the additional name of French.