Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Riggs


Estate(s)

Name Description
Miller (Ballycaseymore) A Scottish family who were settled in the parish of Drumline, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare at the end of the 17th century. Ballymurtagh and some other parts of the Miller estate were held from Robert Clive in 1742 by William Miller. Frost writes that in the reign of Queen Anne the Earl of Thomond made a lease for ever to John Miller of Ballycaseybeg. John Miller of Ballycaseymore, parish of Drumline, was created a baronet in 1778. He married Anna Riggs of Riggsdale, county Cork. They also had a residence at Batheaston, Bath, Somerset, England and Lady Miller was an author and literary hostess. Sir John Riggs Miller was Member of Parliament for Newport, Cornwall, 1784-1790 and proposed a reform of the British system of weights and measures while an MP. Sir John added the name Riggs to his surname following the death of his mother in law Margaret Riggs (nee Pigott) in 1788. By her will he inherited an estate in county Cork. Sir John Riggs Miller (died 1798), Lady Miller (died 1781) and their son Sir John Edward Riggs Miller (died 1825) are all buried at Bath Abbey. Sir John E. Riggs Miller died without legitimate children and left his county Cork estate to his sister Jane Elizabeth Wheatley for life. The representatives of Sir J. Riggs Miller owned 135 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. By his will Sir J. Riggs Miller's other property was left to John Manvers, who became John Riggs Miller. He is the John Riggs Miller referred to in Griffith’s Valuation when he is recorded as holding three townlands in the parish of Clonloghan, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare. In the 1870s John R. Miller of London owned 178 acres in county Clare and died in 1888. The Riggs Miller estate was eventually inherited by Thomas John Ryan of Tyone House, Nenagh, county Tipperary. He was the eldest son of Malachi Ryan and Eliza Miller daughter of John Miller of Toonagh, Ennis, county Clare according to a Genealogy Office manuscript. T.J. Ryan took the name Riggs Miller in 1889. The following website gives a detailed history of the Riggs Miller family. http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~riggs/IREJRM1.htm
Wheatley (Kinalea) John H. Wheatley was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballinaboy, Ballymartle, Dunderrow and Templemichael, barony of Kinalea, county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation.In December 1858 the estate of John Hewitt Wheatley was advertised for sale. This estate was comprised of fee farm rents and lands held in fee simple in the baronies of East Muskerry, Kinalea, Kinsale and Cork, amounting to 6,624 acres. Many of the original leases under which these lands were held were from Edward Riggs. In the 1870s, when his address is given as Sligo, he owned over 2000 acres in county Cork. Over 2000 acres of the Wheatley estate in the barony of Kinalea, as well as property in Cork city, were offered for sale in November 1865 with a further 200 acres in Kinalea offered in 1870. This latter property was sold to a Mr. Walsh, in trust, for over £5000.
Falkiner Caleb Falkiner, a merchant of Cork, married Ruth, daughter of Edward Riggs and had a son, Riggs Falkiner, created a baronet in 1777. His grandson, another Sir Riggs Faulkner, was among the principal lessors in the county Cork parishes of Knockavilly, barony of Kinalea, Kilbrin, barony of Duhallow and Aglish and Athnowen, barony of East Muskerry, at the time of Griffith's Valuation and in the county Tipperary parish of Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh. At the same time Captain Charles Falkiner, Royal Navy, held land in the parish of Iserkieran, barony of Slievardagh. The Falkiners were a banking family in Cork City in the eighteenth century who also held property in the county. An earlier Riggs Falkiner was MP for Clonakilty, 1768-1776 and for Castlemartyr, 1776-1783. His sister Elizabeth married into the Herrick family of Shippool. The Falkiners were related to the Leslies, another Cork banking family, through marriage and Matthew Leslie and his son William B. Leslie were agents to the Falkiner estate. In the 1870s Sir Samuel Falkiner owned over 2,000 acres in county Cork and 146 acres in county Tipperary. In February 1855 part of the Falkiner estate, 324 acres at Kilcully, barony of Cork, was advertised for sale.
Riggs The Riggs family were located in county Cork from the 17th century. They acquired much of their county Cork estate through purchases from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates, including parts of the former estates of Justin McCarthy in the barony of Muskerry and of Sir Richard Nagle in the barony of Fermoy. Edward Riggs of the Middle Temple, London, married Margaret Pigott and had an only daughter Anne who in 1765 married John Miller of Ballycaseymore, county Clare. Anne Miller was sole heiress to her grandfather the Right Honourable Edward Riggs of Rigsdale and Binfield in Berkshire, England, Commissioner of his Majesty's Revenues.