Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Puxley


Estate(s)

Name Description
Puxley Henry L. Puxley of Dunboy Castle was the owner of over 9000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. John L. Puxley was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Templebreedy, barony of Kerrycurrihy and Kilcatherine, Killaconenagh and Kilnamanagh, barony of Bear, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Frances Puxley held some land in the parish of Whitechurch, barony of Cork. The lands in Kerrycurrihy would originally have been Coppinger estates and had come by inheritence to the Puxleys, though a marriage in the eighteenth century between Sara Lavallin of Carrigaline and Henry Puxley of Dunboy. The lands at Dunboy would originally have belonged to the O'Sullivan Beara family and were granted to the Puxleys in the seventeenth century. They had extensive mining interests in the area. The writer Daphne du Maurier based her novel ''Hungry Hill'' on the story of the Puxley family.
Lavallin The Lavallin family held an estate in the Queenstown vicinity of county Cork in the late 17th century. Berkeley writes that in the late 1720s James Lavallin alienated his estates to Lord Barrymore. A long running family dispute over ownership of some of the Lavallin estates took place in the 18th century. His son Philip of Waterpark, Carrigaline married Sarah Kingston and left three daughters who married Robert St Leger Atkins, Henry Puxley of Dunboy and Dr Joseph Rogers of Seaview. In 1819 Mary daughter of Dr Rogers married Timothy O'Donovan of O'Donovan's Cove.