Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Foote (Millfort & Carrigacunna)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Foote (Gortmore) Edward Foote was the third son of Richard Foote of Millfort, county Cork and a younger brother of Henry Baldwin Foote of Carrigacunna Castle. He married Ellen Charlotte, daughter of Cornelius O'Callaghan of Cork, and had a son Edward, who married, in 1862, his cousin, Mary O'Callaghan. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Foote held land in the parish of Clonmeen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, from Viscount Lismore. In October 1856 almost 100 acres in the barony of Kinalmeaky, the property of Edward Foot, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. In January 1864 houses and premises in the city of Cork the estate of Mary Foott and others were advertised for sale. In the 1870s Edward Foote of Gortmore owned 1,498 acres in county Cork.
Foote/Foott (Millfort & Carrigacunna) The Foote family were living in county Cork by the early 18th century. Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' (1904) records three brothers Richard of Millford, Thomas of Springfort and Wade. In 1771 Richard Foott of Millford married Mary Baldwin and had three sons, George of Millford, Henry B. of Carrigacunna Castle and Edward of Gortmore. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry B. Foote held land in the parish of Monanimy, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. In the 1870s Henry B. Foot of Carrigacunna Castle owned 3,171 acres in county Cork. Lands in the baronies of Fermoy and East Carbery, the property of James Foott, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1852. Details of Springfort House, with an accompanying lithograph, are included in the sale notice of August 1852.
Spratt (Pencil Hill) This Spratts descend from a member of a Somerset family, the Reverend Devereux Spratt, who acquired estates in counties Cork and Wexford in the mid 17th century. The Spratts intermarried with their neighbours, the Foott family of Springfort Hall and Carrigacunna Castle, on a number of occasions. It was through one of these marriages that the Spratts came to own Pencil Hill. The Spratts were located in the parish of Caherduggan, barony of Fermoy, while Messrs Spratt, Nagle and others held land in the parish of Brigown, barony of Condons and Clangibbon. In the 1870s members of the Spratt family of Pencil Hill, Mallow, owned over 850 acres in county Cork between them, while Spratt and Horace owned 860 acres.