Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wheatley (Kinalea)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Wheatley (Kinalea) John H. Wheatley was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballinaboy, Ballymartle, Dunderrow and Templemichael, barony of Kinalea, county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation.In December 1858 the estate of John Hewitt Wheatley was advertised for sale. This estate was comprised of fee farm rents and lands held in fee simple in the baronies of East Muskerry, Kinalea, Kinsale and Cork, amounting to 6,624 acres. Many of the original leases under which these lands were held were from Edward Riggs. In the 1870s, when his address is given as Sligo, he owned over 2000 acres in county Cork. Over 2000 acres of the Wheatley estate in the barony of Kinalea, as well as property in Cork city, were offered for sale in November 1865 with a further 200 acres in Kinalea offered in 1870. This latter property was sold to a Mr. Walsh, in trust, for over £5000.
Riggs The Riggs family were located in county Cork from the 17th century. They acquired much of their county Cork estate through purchases from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates, including parts of the former estates of Justin McCarthy in the barony of Muskerry and of Sir Richard Nagle in the barony of Fermoy. Edward Riggs of the Middle Temple, London, married Margaret Pigott and had an only daughter Anne who in 1765 married John Miller of Ballycaseymore, county Clare. Anne Miller was sole heiress to her grandfather the Right Honourable Edward Riggs of Rigsdale and Binfield in Berkshire, England, Commissioner of his Majesty's Revenues.