Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Colthurst (Dripsey Castle)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Colthurst In 1702 Nicholas Colthurst of Ballyally, county Cork, purchased over 1,000 acres from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates, including Ardrum. Sir George Conway Colthurst owned over 31,000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. In 1846 he married Louisa Jane Jefferyes of Blarney Castle and the Jefferyes estate was eventually inherited by the Colthursts. Some of the Colthurst estate was in the parishes of Dromtarriff, barony of Duhallow, Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, Grenagh, barony of Barretts but most of it was in the parish of Ballyvourney, barony of West Muskerry. The family had also previously held property in county Kerry owing to their descent from the Conway family, who had held large estates up to the nineteenth century. In 1856, over 3500 acres of the Colthurst estate in the barony of Trughanacmy, county Kerry, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate that this included lands in the parish of Annagh. The Danesfort estate, leased to the Butcher family, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court, in 1874. In 2009 Sir Charles Colthurst of Blarney Castle donated the papers relating to the estate and the Colthurst family to the Cork City and County Archives, adding to a previous legal collection relating to this family already in the Archives.
Bowen/Bowen Colthurst (Oak Grove) A junior branch of the Bowen family of Kilbolane, county Cork and later of Bowen's Court, John Bowen second son of John Bowen of Kilbolane married Elizabeth Coote in 1724. Their son John Bowen of Carrigadrohid Castle and Oak Grove married firstly Katherine daughter of Bindon Scott of Cahircon, county Clare and secondly Anne White of Bridepark, county Cork in 1797. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bowen held an estate in the parish of Aghinagh, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. 4600 acres of John Bowen's estate in the baronies of East and West Carbery and Kinelmeaky were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in October 1854. Later, in June 1855, the demesne and house at Roundhill were offered for sale in the Court. Robert Walter Travers Bowen of Oak Grove and Dripsey Castle was a grandson of the second marriage. He inherited Oak Grove in 1873, married his cousin Georgina Greer of Dripsey Castle in 1878 and assumed the additional name of Colthurst in 1882. In the 1870s Robert Francis Bowen of Oak Grove owned 1,420 acres in county Cork.
Colthurst (Dripsey Castle) This county Cork family was a junior branch of the Colthurst family, baronets and were descended from James Colthurst, brother of the 1st Baronet. John Colthurst of Dripsey Castle married Jane, daughter of John Bowen of Oak Grove, county Cork. Three of their grandsons lived at houses in West Cork, John Henry at Dripsey Castle, George at Carhue House and Joseph succeeded Henry in 1865. Their granddaughter Peggy married Alfred Greer and this couple were living at Dripsey Castle in the 1870s. Alfred Greer appears to have purchased part of the Dripsey estate, which was advertised for sale in October 1851. It was comprised of over 1,900 acres in 1851. The Greer's daughter Georgina succeeded to Dripsey Castle. In 1878 she married Robert Walter Travers Bowen, who took the additional name of Colthurst in 1882. It was their son, John Bowen Colthurst, who ordered the shooting of Francis Sheehy-Skeffington in 1916. In the 1870s George Colthurst of Carhoo Lower and Joseph Colthurst of Carrignamuck, Coachford, owned 284 and 463 acres respectively in county Cork, while Alfred Greer of Dripsey owned 930 acres in county Cork and 244 acres in county Armagh.
Greer In November 1853 Alfred Greer, fourth son of Thomas Greer of Rhone Hill, county Tyrone, married Margaret, daughter of John Bowen Colthurst of Dripsey Castle, county Cork. Greer appears to have bought some of the Dripsey Castle estate of his brother in law which was first advertised for sale in October 1851. In the 1870s he is recorded as the owner of 930 acres in the county and his wife as the owner of 53 acres. Their daughter Georgina De Bellasis married Robert Walter Travers Bowen of Oakgrove in 1878 and took the additional name of Colthurst following the death of her uncle Joseph Colthurst in 1882 and in compliance with the provisions of his will.
Coppinger (Carhue & Leemount) The Coppingers of Carhue, parish of Magourney, county Cork, were Catholic landowners until the late 18th century. Thomas Stephen Coppinger was then the owner of the estate but he lost half of it when his first cousin, Thomas John Coppinger, became a Protestant and claimed it. Thomas John Coppinger married Mary Gollock of Forest and they were the parents of John Rye Coppinger and Mary Coppinger who, in 1808, married William Thorne. Their son, Henry Thorne Coppinger, was resident at Carhue at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In July 1854 the estate of Thomas Gollock Coppinger, heir-at-law of John Rye Coppinger, who was assignee of the estate and effects of Joseph Coppinger, an insolvent, was advertised for sale. The lands of Coolmuckey, Scart, Kilbonane and Mohallagh amounted to over 800 acres. The fee simple estate of Carhue belonging to Henry Thorne Coppinger was offered for sale in April 1856, amounting to 284 acres. The property appears to have been bought in trust by James Harding for one of the Colthursts of Dripsey Castle. In July 1868, Greenlodge, the estate of Anna Maria Coppinger, widow, was advertised for sale with 159 acres. This property was sold to J.S. Coppinger for over £1500.