Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Browne (Riverstown)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Browne (Riverstown) This family of Brownes, originally from Essex, settled in the city of Cork in the mid 17th century. In 1699 Edward Browne married Judith daughter and heiress of Warham Jemmett and was Mayor of Cork in 1714. He purchased Riverstown which became the family seat. His eldest son the Reverend Jemmett Browne became Archbishop of Tuam in 1775. Members of succeeding generations were also clergymen. In 1784 the Reverend Jemmett Browne of Riverstown married Frances Blennerhassett. In Griffith's Valuation the estate of Jemmett Browne, who died in 1850, and his brother the Reverend John Browne is recorded in the parishes of Inchigeelagh and Kilnamartery, barony of West Muskerry and Templeusque, barony of Barrymore. In the 1870s the Reverend John Browne of England owned 4,919 acres in county Cork. His agent was James Russell of Glanmire, Cork. In 1927 Wiston John Jemmett Browne inherited the Leighton Hall estate, near Telford, Shropshire, from his cousin Thomas F. Kynnersley and changed his name to Kynnersley-Browne. see http://www.blennerhassettfamilytree.com/The-Ballyseedy-Entail.php