Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Leader (Ashgrove)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ashe (Ashgrove & Codrum) In the mid 19th century the Ashe estate was mainly located in the parishes of Kilnamartery and Clondrohid, barony of West Muskerry, county Cork. Richard and Edward Ashe were the proprietors. This estate of Richard Ashe, consisting of 1770 acres in the baronies of Fermoy and West Muskerry, was advertised for sale in December 1850. In January 1851 the Freeman's Journal reported that the purchasers were Messers. Adams, Robinson and Harding. The lands of Cooleyhane were offered for sale in May 1854 with other property. By the 1870s the estate had been sold and only 45 acres remained in the possession of Charles Evanson Ashe of Codrum, Macroom.
Leader (Ashgrove) [Captain] Thomas Leonard Leader (1825-1891) bought the estate of Richard Ashe of Ashgrove, parish of Clondrohid, barony of West Muskerry, county Cork in the early 1850s. Griffith's Valuation records a Thomas Leader holding an estate in several parishes in the baronies of Duhallow, West and East Muskerry. He was the son of Thomas Leader of Springmount, Cork and his wife, Margaret Maria, daughter and co heiress of William Power of Cork. In 1845 he married Airlie Macdougall and had three sons and two daughters. His eldest son was Charles Reginald De Vere Leader who married Fanny Moore in 1871 and his youngest daughter married Robert Warren of Warrens Court, county Cork in 1872. By the 1870s Captain Thomas Leonard Leader of Ashgrove, Macroom, owned 3,709 acres in county Cork. In 1886 the Captain married as his second wife Jane Olipant Murray, a granddaugher of the 8th Baron Elibank