Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McManus (Barleyhill)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Deane Thomas Deane, a merchant, was granted over 1,500 acres mainly in the baronies of Clare and Dunmore, county Galway, including Castlemoyle and Toghermore, but also in the barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, by patent dated 2 June 1677. Stephen Deane was granted lands in the baronies of Loughrea, Moycullen and Athenry, county Galway and in the barony of Carra, county Mayo in May 1677. The Deanes held land in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway, in the late 18th century and also in the town of Galway. By the end of the 18th century Ambrose Deane was bankrupt and in 1790 sold Toghermore to John Henry of Dublin and Castlemoyle was sold to Valentine O'Connor in 1796. Ambrose Deane died intestate in 1792 and one of his sisters succeeded to the Deane estate of Balrobuck, parish of Annaghdown. She was married to Dominick Skerrett of Ballinduff. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward H. Deane held land in the parish of Cummer, barony of Clare. In the 19th century Edward Deane was agent to Christopher McManus of Barleyhill and leased land in the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. The Deanes appear to have lent money to the McManuses and in the early 1850s Edward Deane went to America to escape his creditors. He was married to Esmy O'Flaherty of Lisdonagh, near Headford, county Galway. A brother and sister of Edward Deane's married members of the McDermott family of Coolavin, county Sligo.
McManus (Barleyhill) The McManus family held an estate in the parish of Bohola, barony of Gallen, count Mayo, from at least the mid 18th century. Some of the lands were held in fee, some on leases renewable for ever. Edward Deane of Carrowgowan was agent to McManus in the 1830s. The estate of 1464 acres was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in July 1851. The first sale was adjourned but it was later bought by Mrs Pery, a member of the Knox Gore family, who leased it to George Harkin. It was later bought by the Aitken family, who still own the property. Patrick Ruane made a detailed study of this house in his thesis.
Pery/ Pery Knox Gore An estate in the parish of Kilbelfad, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, formerly belonging to the Ormsby family of Cloghan, passed to the Pery family by the marriage in 1783 of Edmond H Pery, 1st Earl of Limerick, and an Ormsby heiress. Part of the Pery estate was in the parish of Ballynahaglish. In 1851 Mrs Pery, nee Knox Gore, bought the McManus estate of Barleyhill, barony of Gallen. The Perys were leasing Belleek Castle from E.J. Howley at the end of the 1860s. They later built Coolcronaun House where the Pery Knox Gores continued to reside until 1964. Their estate amounted to over 5,000 acres in the 1870s. In 1930 most of the estate was taken over by the Land Commission.
Bourke (Oory) A branch of the Bourkes of Moneycrower or Bunacrower, later Earls of Mayo, settled at Oory [also spelt Urey/Urrey], parish of Tagheen, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo in the 17th century. They intermarried with other Bourke families and with the Fitzgeralds of Turlough, Kellys of Kelly's Grove and Fiddane and with the Shees of Castlebar. Burke's ''Landed Gentry'' records four generations of Bourkes residing at Oory until the estate was sold in the mid 18th century. Later generations of the family settled in Jamaica and England. One descendant, Eliza Jane Dennis of Jamaica, married James Hewitt Massy Dawson in 1800. By the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Brownes of Brownhall were in possession of Oory and the Nettervilles held Coarsefield, which was probably part of Oory under the Bourkes. One branch of the family lived at Curry in the parish of Mayo in the late 18th century and intermarried with the Brownes of the Neale. Two daughters and co-heiresses married Patrick Kirwan of Claremount and Charles McManus of Barley Hill and appear to have shared the townland of Curry - Curry (McManus) and Curry (Kirwan).