Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Butler

Family title

Marquess of Ormonde


Estate(s)

Name Description
Wandesforde The main Irish estate of the Wandesforde family, later Prior-Wandesforde, was in the Castlecomer area of county Kilkenny. They also had estates in England. The Wandesforde family acquired land in counties Limerick and Clare following the marriage in 1750 of Agnes Elizabeth, daughter of John Southwell of Enniscouch, county Limerick, and John Wandesford 5th Viscount Castlecomer and 1st Earl Wandesforde. This estate was previously Southwell property and was in the barony of Lower Connello, county Limerick and Clonderalaw, county Clare. In 1769 Frances, the only child of the 1st Earl Wandesforde, married John Butler, 7th Earl of Ormonde and their fourth son succeeded to the Wandesforde estates. The Prior Wandesforde Estate Papers in the National Library of Ireland show that the county Clare estates were mainly in the Kilrush and Killadysert localities and included Ballyartney. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the county Clare estate of the Wandesfordes was in the parishes of Kilmurry and Kilmilhil and their county Limerick estate was in the parishes of Nantinan and Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, (H. Wandesforde) Cloncagh, barony of Connello Lower and Darragh, barony of Coshlea (C.C.B. Wandesforde). In the 1870s the Honourable C.B. Wandesforde of Mount Juliet, county Kilkenny, owned 6,737 acres in county Clare and Henry T.B. Wandesforde of Palmerstown, county Dublin, owned 4,137 acres in county Limerick.
Meade A family of Gaelic extraction located originally in county Cork, who by the mid 18th century held large estates in the Golden Vale barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary following the purchase of some of the Ormonde estate. In 1765 Sir John Meade, 3rd Baronet of Ballintober (near Kinsale), married the heiress Theodosia, daughter of Robert Hawkins Magill of Gill Hall, Gilford, county Down. Thereafter the Meades were largely based in county Down. In 1766 Sir John was created Viscount Clanwilliam and in 1776 Earl of Clanwilliam. Due to mounting debts the Earl of Clanwilliam's estates in Cos Tipperary and Cork were all sold by the early 19th century. In 1787 Ballintober was sold to a cousin the Reverend John Meade, who was succeeded by his nephew.
Butler The 1st Duke of Ormonde was one of the largest estate owners in Ireland at the beginning of the 18th century. Some of the Ormonde estate in county Tipperary was sold in the early years of the 18th century to pay off debts. In the mid 19th century the Marquess of Ormonde's county Tipperary estate was in mainly in the baronies of Iffa and Offa East and Lower Ormond but also in the baronies of Slievardagh, Clanwilliam, Eliogarty and Upper Ormond. In 1769 John, 17th Earl of Ormonde, married Lady Frances Wandesforde, daughter and sole heir of John, Earl of Wandesforde, and his wife, Agnes Elizabeth, daugher of John Southwell of Enniscouch, county Limerick. The 17th Earl died in 1795 and his wife in 1830. The Countess of Ormonde held land in county Limerick at the beginning of the 19th century. A map of her estate at "Gurtnacrehy", [Gortnacreha, parish of Cloncagh?], parish of "Kilneedy" [Kilmeedy], barony of Connello Upper is held in the Limerick City Museum. Another document in this repository refers to her tenants at Ballinlina [Ballinlyny?, parish of Kilscannell, barony of Connello Lower] and Ardbohill [parish of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower]. At the time of Griffith's Valuation "Lady Ormond" is recorded as holding land in the townland of Ballinlongig, parish of Dromcolliher, barony of Connello Upper. The Countess estates passed to her fourth son, Charles and his descendants who took the name of Wandesforde. In the 1870s the Marquess of Ormonde of Kilkenny Castle owned 15,765 acres in county Tipperary and over 12,000 acres in county Kilkenny.
Carew/Pole Carew In 1901 Lady Beatrice Frances Elizabeth Butler eldest daughter of the 3rd Marquess of Ormonde married Sir Reginald Pole Carew of Antony, Cornwall. She and her sister Lady Constance Butler were co heiresses to the last Lord Lismore who died in 1898. The sisters held well over a thousand acres of untenanted land in the Clogheen district of county Tipperary in 1906.