Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Meagher


Estate(s)

Name Description
O'Meagher/Meagher The O'Meagher family were well established in county Tipperary by the 16th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Meagher held land in three townlands in the parish of Mahoonagh, barony of Glenquin, county Limerick. At the same time John O'Meagher held land in the parish of Kilbragh and Mora, Stephen O'Meagher held land in the parishes of Knockgraffon and St Patricksrock and Robert Meagher held land in the parish of Cloneen, all in the barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. Stephen O'Meagher also held land in the parishes of Clonbullogue and Killardry, barony of Clanwilliam. He was the son of Dennis O'Meagher and his wife, Helen Roche of Limerick. Helen's sister Anastasia was married to Edward O'Meagher of Marlhill. Sarah, daughter of Denis O'Meagher of Kilmoyler, married John Joseph Preston of Bellinter, Navan, county Meath in 1842 and their estate at Kilmoyler amounting to almost 600 acres including the mansion house of Kilmoyler was advertised for sale in April 1865. 231 acres of this estate was sold in the Landed Estates Court in January 1866. Patrick Ryan purchased it for over £2600. In July 1853 the estate of Stephen O'Meagher at Ballygorteen and Ballymorris, 792 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, had been offered for sale. Property owned by Robert Meagher in county Tipperary was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in January 1889 but the sale was adjourned and private bids invited.