Landed Estates
NUI Galway



Name Description
Henchy (Moynoe) The Henchy family were established in county Clare from the early 18th century and descend from Peter Henchy of Cappagh Castle. Weir writes that the Henchys intermarried with the O'Briens and that the Henchys lost their estates to John Lindsay, a "Protestant discoverer" of Lisburn, county Antrim in 1786. Peter Fitzgibbon Henchy moved to Moyarta. Griffith's Valuation records the representatives of Peter F. Hinchy holding some land in the parish of Kilballyowen, barony of Moyarta. Hugh Brady, who died in 1819, held a lease on Moynoe, Meenross and Carrowmore in the Scarriff locality of east county Clare. In 1820 his widow Elizabeth, formerly a Fitzgibbon of Ballyseeda, Limerick mortgaged these lands to Peter Fitzgibbon Henchy, barrister at law, of Dublin. Peter Henchy was a son of Donough Henchy of Feenagh, Sixmilebridge, county Clare and his wife, Dorothy Fitzgibbon of Newcastle, county Limerick. The Henchys had a son, Fitzgibbon Henchy, who was living at Moynoe in 1837 as well as five daughters. In 1832 Caroline Henchy married Edward Basil Brooke of Colebrook, county Fermanagh. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Moynoe and the other lands were held by the trustees of their marriage settlement, Sir Arthur B. Brooke, 2nd Baronet and Georgina Henchy, Caroline's sister, who had married Lodge Raymond de Montmorency, 2nd Viscount Frankfort de Montmorency in 1833. Lady Frankfort owned 1,653 acres in county Clare in the 1870s and Mrs Caroline Brooke owned 627 acres. Lady Frankfort's estate in the baronies of Tulla Upper and Moyarta was advertised for sale in June 1881. The rental shows that Moynoe was held under lease from the Bishop of Killaloe and refers to the Reade lease. see
Stanley Thomas P. Power writes how the Stanleys acquired their Irish estates through the marriage, in 1747, of Lucy, daughter of Hugh Smith, son of Erasmus Smith, to James, Lord Strange, son of the 11th Earl of Derby. James and Lucy's son, Edward, succeeded his grandfather as 12th Earl of Derby in 1776. Lucy's sister Dorothy married John Barry, a younger son of the 4th Earl of Barrymore, and the Smith county Tipperary estate was divided in 1755, the Smith Barrys obtaining 4,908 acres and the Stanleys 6,108 acres. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Stanley held two townlands Cooga Upper and Lower, over 800 acres in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. His agent was Thomas Bolton. The National Library of Ireland holds a map of "Coogey", bordered by the townland of Bilbao, dated 1834 but the name of the proprietor is not recorded. This property was bought by Valentine O'Brien O'Connor in the second half of the 19th century [1873] as a report on the provisions of his will published in the ''New Zealand Tablet'' (7 Huitanguru [Sept]1874) states that an annuity of £5,000 was charged on the estate he bought from the Earl of Derby. In the mid 19th century Lord Stanley's county Tipperary estate was in the parishes of Railstown, St Johnbaptist and St Patricksrock, barony of Middlethird and Emly, Kilfeakle, Shronell and Tipperary but mainly in the parish of Solloghodmore, all in the barony of Clanwilliam.
O'Connor/O'Connor-Henchy This O'Connor family had links with the O'Connor Donelan family of Sylaun, county Galway. In 1796 Valentine O'Connor married Mary, daughter of David Henchy of Rockfield, Blackrock, county Dublin, son of John Henchy of Cratloe, county Clare. Their second son, David, lived at Stonebrook, county Kildare and assumed the additional name of Henchy. At the time of Griffith's Valuation O'Connor Henchy held land in the parish of Graystown, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. In 1850 David married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Burke, baronet, of Marble Hill, county Galway and in 1887, their son Hugh, married Virginia, only daughter of Andrew Browne of Moyvilla Castle, county Galway. In the 1870s David O'Connor Henchy of Stonebrook, Ballymore Eustace, county Kildare, owned 1,090 acres in county Kildare. Valentine O'Brien O'Connor, the third son of Valentine and Mary O'Connor, lived at Rockfield, county Dublin and also had a residence at Ballykisteen, county Tipperary. In the 1870s he is recorded as owning 837 acres in county Limerick and 78 acres in county Dublin. According to the ''New Zealand Tablet'' (7 Huitanguru [Sept]1874) he bought this property from the Earl of Derby as the newspaper states that an annuity of £5,000 for his wife was charged on the estate under the provisions of his will. He died in September 1873 and was succeeded by his fourth son, William, of Ballykisteen, county Tipperary, who owned 6,178 acres in county Tipperary in the mid 1870s and died childless in 1898.