Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Barry/Smith-Barry (Ballyedmond)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Barry/Smith-Barry (Fota) John Smith-Barry of Marbury Hall, Cheshire and Fota Island, county Cork, was a son of James Hugh Smith-Barry, a grandson of the 4th Earl of Barrymore. Through his grandmother, Lucy Smith, granddaughter of Erasmus Smith, the Barrys had inherited a large estate in county Tipperary. Thomas P. Power writes that in 1755 it amounted to 6,108 acres in the baronies of Clanwilliam and Middlethird. In 1814 John Smith Barry married a daughter of Robert Courtenay of Ballyedmond, county Cork and their fourth son inherited that estate. In the 1870s their grandson Arthur Hugh Smith-Barry owned an estate comprised of 12,890 acres in county Cork, 79 acres in Cork city, 8,620 acres in county Tipperary and 6,239 acres in county Louth. In 1902 Arthur Hugh Smith-Barry was created Baron Barrymore of Barrymore, county Cork. He died without surviving male heirs. The title became extinct and his estates passed to his nephew, Colonel Robert R. Smith-Barry, who passed Fota Island over to the Baron's daugher, the Honourable Dorothy Elizabeth, Mrs Bell. Mrs Bell's daughter, Rosemary Elizabeth Villiers, succeeded to Fota House in the 1970s. In the 1850s James H. Smith-Barry was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Ardfield, Templeomaley and Timoleague, barony of Ibane & Barryroe, Liscleary, barony of Kerrycurrihy, Coole, Gortroe, Kilshanahan, Ballycurrany, Ballyspillane, Britway, Carrigtohill, Clonmel and Templerobinbarony of Barrymore, Rathcooney, St Annes Shandon and St Finbarrs, barony of Cork. The Smith Barry estate in county Tipperary was located in the parishes of Ballysheenan and St Patricksrock, barony of Middlethird, and Clonpet, Cordangan, Solloghodbeg and Tipperary, barony of Clanwilliam.
Barry/Smith-Barry (Ballyedmond) In 1814 John Smith-Barry of Marbury Hall, Cheshire and Fota Island, county Cork, married Eliza-Mary, daughter of Robert Courtenay of Ballyedmond, county Cork. Their eldest son was the father of Arthur, Baron Barrymore, and their fourth son, Captain Richard Hugh Smith-Barry inherited Ballyedmond, county Cork from his uncle, John Courtenay in 1861. In the 1870s Captain Hugh Smith Barry owned 269 acres in county Limerick and 8,137 acres in county Cork. The Captain's grandson, Guy Forster, sold Ballyedmond in the 1960s.
Courtenay (Ballyedmond) Ballyedmond, parish of Templenacarriga, barony of Barrymore, county Cork, was originally a Browne property which passed to the Courtenays by marriage. George Courtenay married Anne, daughter of Leonard Ashe of Drishane, county Cork. She died in 1823. Their grandson, George Courtenay of Dromadda, married Caroline Augusta, daugher of John Smith Barry of Fota, county Cork. However neither of their sons had children and John, a brother of George, eventually succeeded to the property. Griffith's Valuation records the bulk of John Courtenay's estate in the parish of Templenacarriga, barony of Barrymore, but also records him holding land in the parishes of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow, Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, Rahan, barony of Fermoy, Britway, Carrigtohill, Dungourney and Templebodan, barony of Barrymore. Killeagh, barony of Imokilly. In 1861 he died unmarried and was succeeded by his nephew, Richard Hugh Smith Barry.