Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Barry/Smith-Barry (Fota)

Family title

Baron Barrymore


Estate(s)

Name Description
Erasmus Smith Schools, Governors (Munster) In 1666 Erasmus Smith, a London alderman and philanthropist, was granted 21,067 acres in county Tipperary and 12,596 acres in county Louth, with about 500 acres in the barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and 300 acres in county Meath under the Cromwellian land settlement. Some of this land was used to support his schools but an estate in county Tipperary remained in his own hands and was later inherited by his granddaughters Dorothy and Lucy Smith who married respectively John Barry and Lord Strange (Stanley) in the mid 18th century. Other lands in counties Galway and Limerick were granted to the trustees for the charity of Erasmus Smith in 1667 and in counties Tipperary and Limerick in 1669. At the time of Griffith's Valuation estates in the parishes of Grean, Ballynaclogh and Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and Cordangan, Corroge and Solloghodbeg, barony of Clanwilliam, Clogher, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower, Moyaliff, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper, county Tipperary, were held by the Governors or Trustees of the Erasmus Smith Schools. The county Limerick estate amounted to 4,279 acres and the county Tipperary estate to 2,903 acres in the 1870s. http://www.ancestryireland.com/hip_statutes.php?filename=3.6
Stanley Thomas P. Power writes how the Stanleys acquired their Irish estates through the marriage, in 1747, of Lucy, daughter of Hugh Smith, son of Erasmus Smith, to James, Lord Strange, son of the 11th Earl of Derby. James and Lucy's son, Edward, succeeded his grandfather as 12th Earl of Derby in 1776. Lucy's sister Dorothy married John Barry, a younger son of the 4th Earl of Barrymore, and the Smith county Tipperary estate was divided in 1755, the Smith Barrys obtaining 4,908 acres and the Stanleys 6,108 acres. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Stanley held two townlands Cooga Upper and Lower, over 800 acres in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. His agent was Thomas Bolton. The National Library of Ireland holds a map of "Coogey", bordered by the townland of Bilbao, dated 1834 but the name of the proprietor is not recorded. This property was bought by Valentine O'Brien O'Connor in the second half of the 19th century [1873] as a report on the provisions of his will published in the ''New Zealand Tablet'' (7 Huitanguru [Sept]1874) states that an annuity of £5,000 was charged on the estate he bought from the Earl of Derby. In the mid 19th century Lord Stanley's county Tipperary estate was in the parishes of Railstown, St Johnbaptist and St Patricksrock, barony of Middlethird and Emly, Kilfeakle, Shronell and Tipperary but mainly in the parish of Solloghodmore, all in the barony of Clanwilliam.
Barry/Smith-Barry (Fota) John Smith-Barry of Marbury Hall, Cheshire and Fota Island, county Cork, was a son of James Hugh Smith-Barry, a grandson of the 4th Earl of Barrymore. Through his grandmother, Lucy Smith, granddaughter of Erasmus Smith, the Barrys had inherited a large estate in county Tipperary. Thomas P. Power writes that in 1755 it amounted to 6,108 acres in the baronies of Clanwilliam and Middlethird. In 1814 John Smith Barry married a daughter of Robert Courtenay of Ballyedmond, county Cork and their fourth son inherited that estate. In the 1870s their grandson Arthur Hugh Smith-Barry owned an estate comprised of 12,890 acres in county Cork, 79 acres in Cork city, 8,620 acres in county Tipperary and 6,239 acres in county Louth. In 1902 Arthur Hugh Smith-Barry was created Baron Barrymore of Barrymore, county Cork. He died without surviving male heirs. The title became extinct and his estates passed to his nephew, Colonel Robert R. Smith-Barry, who passed Fota Island over to the Baron's daugher, the Honourable Dorothy Elizabeth, Mrs Bell. Mrs Bell's daughter, Rosemary Elizabeth Villiers, succeeded to Fota House in the 1970s. In the 1850s James H. Smith-Barry was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Ardfield, Templeomaley and Timoleague, barony of Ibane & Barryroe, Liscleary, barony of Kerrycurrihy, Coole, Gortroe, Kilshanahan, Ballycurrany, Ballyspillane, Britway, Carrigtohill, Clonmel and Templerobinbarony of Barrymore, Rathcooney, St Annes Shandon and St Finbarrs, barony of Cork. The Smith Barry estate in county Tipperary was located in the parishes of Ballysheenan and St Patricksrock, barony of Middlethird, and Clonpet, Cordangan, Solloghodbeg and Tipperary, barony of Clanwilliam.
Barry/Smith-Barry (Ballyedmond) In 1814 John Smith-Barry of Marbury Hall, Cheshire and Fota Island, county Cork, married Eliza-Mary, daughter of Robert Courtenay of Ballyedmond, county Cork. Their eldest son was the father of Arthur, Baron Barrymore, and their fourth son, Captain Richard Hugh Smith-Barry inherited Ballyedmond, county Cork from his uncle, John Courtenay in 1861. In the 1870s Captain Hugh Smith Barry owned 269 acres in county Limerick and 8,137 acres in county Cork. The Captain's grandson, Guy Forster, sold Ballyedmond in the 1960s.
Barry Burke's Extinct Peerage records the building of Barry's Court castle by Philip de Barry in 1206. This family was very prominent in county Cork in medieval times and held the titles Viscount Buttevant and Earl of Barrymore (from 1628). In 1668 Richard, Earl of Barrymore, was granted 9,698 acres mainly in the barony of Barrymore, county Cork. In the 17th century the Barrys built Castlelyons Castle on the site of an older castle and it was the main Irish residence of the Earls of Barrymore until accidentally burnt in 1771. James Barry (1667-1747) 4th Earl of Barrymore had four sons. The title eventually died out with the death of his great-randson, the 8th Earl of Barrymore, in 1824. The 4th Earl's fourth son John Smith Barry of Marbury in Cheshire married in 1746 Dorothy daughter and co heiress of Hugh Smith of Weald Hall, Essex and a granddaughter of Erasmus Smith. This couple inherited an estate in county Tipperary from the Smiths. They were the grandparents of John Smith Barry of Marbury and Fota, county Cork. The legal documents referred to in John T. Collins' article include reference to the sale of 10,000 acres of the Barrymore estate in 1806. An estate of 1,800 acres was leased to William O'Bryan by James Earl of Barrymore in 1703 and was advertised for sale in 1852 and 1855 as the estate of James Milner Barry.