Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ryan (Inch)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ryan (Inch) The Ryan family were located at Inch, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, from the late 17th century. In 1783 George Ryan of Inch married Mary, daughter of Philip John Roche of Limerick, and they had four sons. Daniel and Philip died unmarried in the early 1830s, George succeeded to Inch and John Dennis Anna Elizabeth Lenigan of Castle Fogerty in 1824. Their son, John Vivian, succeeded to that estate. In the mid 19th century the Ryan estate was located in the parish of Inch, barony of Eliogarty and Moyaliff and Upperchurch, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper. In the 1870s the representatives of George Ryan of Inch owned 1,694 acres in county Tipperary.
Grehan (Clonmeen) An estate inherited by the Grehan family of Dublin in the early 19th century. Stephen Grehan (1776-1871) was one of the main beneficiaries of the will of his uncle [by marriage], John Roche of Dublin. In 1809 Stephen Grehan married Margaret Ryan of Inch, county Tipperary. The Grehans were involved in banking. By the time of Griffith's Valuation Stephen's son George held at least eight townlands in the parish of Clonmeen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork and another son, Peter, held lands in the parishes Ballycahill, Moyaliff, Templebeg and Upperchurch, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper, county Tipperary. Peter's surname is spelt Graham not Grehan in Griffith's Valuation for county Tipperary. Over 1,000 acres at Coolroemore was bought in 1857. The Grehans acquired further lands in the barony of East Carbery and in county Tipperary. By the 1870s George Grehan owned an estate of over 7,000 acres in county Cork and his brother, Peter Grehan of 19 Rutland Square, Dublin, owned 1,875 acres in county Tipperary. John Therry was agent to this estate in the late 19th century. A large collection of estate and family papers documenting the Grehans and their property is located in the Boole Library, University College, Cork. The Grehans sold Clonmeen in 1975. Lands leased by George Gre[n]an to Mary Fitzgerald in 1856 were advertised for sale in October 1883, the estate of John Fitzgerald.
Lenigan (Castle Fogarty) In 1788 James Fogerty of Castle Fogarty, near Thurles, county Tipperary, died childless and his sister Elizabeth, who had married William Lenigan of Zoar, county Kilkenny, inherited the Fogarty estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Lenigan's estate was located in the parishes of Ballycahill and Moyaliff, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper. In the 1870s James Lenigan owned 1,604 acres in county Tipperary. Penelope Elizabeth Marie Lenigan, daughter of James, left the estate to her cousin, John Vivian Ryan, son of John Denis Ryan of the Inch family and his wife Anna Elizabeth Lenigan. John Vivian Ryan took the additional name of Lenigan in 1878.
Ryan (Gortkelly) This family of Ryans held land from the Ryans of Inch, Thurles, county Tipperary. The Ryan of Inch Papers in the Boole Library contain leases dated 1746, 1781 and 1814 from members of the Ryan family of Inch to three generations of Ryans of Gortkelly, John, Andrew and John. In the mid 19th century Andrew Ryan held 3 townlands from Peter Graham in the parish of Upperchurch, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Andrew Ryan of Gortkelly Castle, Borrisoleigh, owned 906 acres in county Tipperary. In December 1877 the estate of Andrew Ryan of Gortkelly was advertised for sale, comprised of over 900 acres in the barony of Kilnamanagh Upper.
Woulfe (Carrick on Suir) Walter Woulfe held property in the Carrick on Suir locality of county Tipperary in the late 18th century. In some documents Walter Woulfe's address is given as Lodge, Waterford.The Woulfe estates were located at Carrick-on-Suir in county Tipperary and Rathgormuck in county Waterford. Walter Woulfe succeeded to them through his mother Mary Power, after the decease of his uncles Nicholas and Thomas Power. In 1785 Walter's daughter Elizabeth married John Mansfield and this couple succeeded to the Woulfe estates. John Mansfield died in 1817 and the Woulfe estate passed to his younger son Walter Henry Mansfield and this estate is well documented in the Mansfield Papers. The Woulfes were also connected through marriage with the Ryans of Inch. The estate papers of the Ryans also refer to the Woulfes.
McCarthy (Springhouse) Justin McCarthy of Springhouse, county Tipperary, is mentioned in the Ryan of Inch Papers in 1723 and this collection also contains copy wills of Justin McCarthy of Springhouse 1752 and Dennis McCarthy 1761. The Ryans and McCarthys were related through marriage. Arthur Young visited John McCarthy's farm at Springhouse, which he supposed to be 'the most considerable one in the world' at about 9,000 acres in size. Leet's Directory records Thomas McCarthy of Springhouse in 1814.