Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Baker (Lismacue)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Baker (Lismacue) The Baker family settled in county Tipperary in the mid 17th century, Walter Baker having obtained a grant of over 1,200 acres in the Lattin locality, barony of Clanwilliam by patent dated 1677. His grandson, William Baker, purchased the Lismacue estate from Colonel Samuel Blount at the end of the 17th century. Colonel Samuel Blount married Martha, daughter and heir of Robert Knight of Lismacue, and died in 1699. In 1703 William Baker of Latin bought some land in the barony of Clanwilliam, previously part of the estate of King James II. This family had close connections with various branches of the Massy family through marriage. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Hugh Baker of Lismacue held an estate in the parishes of Clonbullogue, Lattin, Templebredon and Templeneiry, barony of Clanwilliam. Hugh Baker of Lismacue owned 1,328 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. Part of the lands of Liscahill and properties in the town of Cashel and city of Dublin were advertised for sale in May 1858 the estate of Christopher Hume Lawder, assignee of William Baker. In June 1881 the lands of Fehertagh, barony of Clanwilliam , county Tipperary and part of the lands of Kilcully in the North Liberties of the city of Cork, the estate of the trustees for sale under the will of Godfrey Hugh Massy Baker, deceased, were advertised for sale. The Lismacue website contains information about the history of the Baker family and Lismacue.see http://www.lismacue.com/index.htm
Baker/Cole Baker At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend George Cole Baker held land in the parishes of Cordangan and Templeneiry, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. His son also named George Cole Baker, who was living at Ballydavid at this time, was murdered in December 1868. In the 1870s the Reverend George Baker of Ballydavid, Bansha, is recorded as the owner of 1,686 acres in county Tipperary.