Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Waller (Co Tipperary)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Waller (Newport) The first Waller came to Ireland as a soldier in Cromwell's army. Branches of the family settled at Castle Waller, Newport and Prior Park, county Tipperary. The site of Newport House is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. Samuel Waller married Anne Jocelyn, an aunt of the 1st Earl of Roden. Their eldest son Robert was created a baronet in 1780 and a younger son founded the Prior Park branch of the family. In 1828 Sir Edmund Waller 4th Baronet married his cousin Selina Maria daughter of George Waller of Prior Park. In 1844 he married Rebecca Guinness as his second wife. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lady Waller, youngest daughter of Arthur Guinness, held 5 townlands in the parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo and at least 9 townlands in the parishes of Kilvellane and Kilcomenty, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. In 1876 her son Sir Edmund A. Waller of London owned 1,011 acres in county Mayo, 2,962 acres in county Tipperary and small acreages in counties Cork, Kildare and Limerick. The Waller estate in county Mayo was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in January 1913.
Waller (Castle Waller & Rockvale) In the mid 17th century Richard Waller (formerly Warren), a Cromwellian soldier, was granted lands in county Tipperary including Cully, later Castle Waller. His grandson, Samuel, was ancestor of the Wallers, baronets, of Newport and the Wallers of Prior Park. Richard Waller of Castle Waller married Anne, daughter of Kilner Brazier. The Castle Waller estate of William Henry Brazier Waller (who emigrated to America) assigned to William De Rythre was advertised for sale in June 1851.The Freeman's Journal reported that Henry Hodson and John H. Going were among the purchasers. Blanche Waller was married to William De Rythre and 89 acres belonging to them at Poulavie, part of Petersfield demesne, was advertised for sale in the 1860s. A junior branch of this family lived at Rockvale and Finoe House. In the mid 19th century Samuel Waller of the Rockvale family held land in the parishes of Rahelty and Twomileborris, barony of Eliogarty and Edward Waller held land in the parish of Finnoe. Samuel was married to Katherine Doherty. Part of the lands of Finoe and Curraghmore, including Ormond Cottage, the estate (211 acres) of the trustees of the will of Samuel Waller, deceased was advertised for sale in November 1856. In the 1870s John Francis Waller of Dublin and Finoe owned 1,445 acres in county Tipperary.
Doherty (Cos Tipperary & Cork) A family from Inishowen, county Donegal, who moved south in the late 17th century and settled in county Tipperary and later in county Cork. James Doherty of Oldtown, county Tipperary, had two sons, James of Kedragh and Nicholas of Outrath. The Ryan of Inch papers in the Boole Library, University College Cork, contain leases between members of the Ryan and Doherty families for lands at Kedra and elsewhere in Tipperary. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Nicholas J. Doherty held land in the parish of Clogher, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower, county Tipperary. The nearby townlands of Corbally and Rathmanna were held by Messrs Waller and Doherty and may originally have been Lockwood property. James Doherty married Rebecca, daughter of Richard Lockwood of Indaville and their daugher, Catherine, married Edward Waller of Limerick. The Waller of Rockvale entry in Burke's Landed Gentry (1904) shows Katherine Lockwood marrying Samuel Waller. [ Editions of Burke's Landed Gentry from the 1850s give details of the genealogy of this family in county Tipperary which are not included in the Doherty entry in the 1904 edition.] In May 1855 the estate of John Aldridge and John George Smyly, trustees of the will of the Right Honourable John Doherty, deceased, being part of the manor and lordship of Thurles, was advertised for sale. A branch of this family moved to the Bandon area of county Cork in the mid 18th century and in the late 19th century Richard Wheeler Doherty was agent to the Earl of Bandon and other smaller landowners in the Bandon vicinity.
Waller (Prior Park) This family descend from a Cromwelllian soldier Richard Waller who settled at Cully, Newport, county Tipperary in the mid 17th century. Cully later became known as Castle Waller. In 1730 Samuel Waller married Anne Jocelyn, an aunt of the 1st Earl of Roden and their eldest son, Robert, was created a baronet in 1780. The Wallers of Prior Park descend from their fourth son, George. ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that George Waller (born 1740) purchased Prior Park from the Otway family. In the mid 19th century William Waller held an estate in the parishes of Cloghprior, barony of Lower Ormond, and Kilnarath, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. In the 1870s William Waller of Prior Park owned 990 acres in county Tipperary.