Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fitzgerald (Lisheen, Co Tipperary)

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Uniacke ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' gives a very detailed genealogy of this family, established in the Youghal area of county Cork from the 16th century. James Uniacke, who died in 1733, purchased the Mount Uniacke (Coolegaragh) estate from James FitzGerald of Glenane, county Cork and built the house. From his eldest son, Richard, descend the Uniackes of Mount Uniacke and from his third so, the Uniackes of Castletown. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Norman Uniacke's estate was mainly in the parishes of Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon and Ardagh, Dangandonovan and Killeagh, barony of Imokilly, county Cork. At the same time Crofton Uniacke of Ballyre held land in the parish of Dangandonovan as did Robert Uniacke of Castletown. Thomas Uniacke was also one of the principal lessors in the parish of Skull at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1851, Robert Uniacke was among the principal lessors in the parish of Stradbally, barony of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford. In October 1854 the Mount Uniacke estate of 7,754 acres in the baronies of Imokilly and Kinnatalloon was advertised for sale. A note on the rentals shows that two lots were bought by Robert W.F. Uniacke. Other lots were sold in May 1855, many to a Mr. Murdock. 1,305 acres were readvertised in June 1864. In the 1870s Norman Uniacke of Mount Uniacke owned 1,559 acres and Robert Uniacke of Castletown owned 1,222 acres in county Cork. Almost 400 acres of Robert U. Fitzgerald Uniacke's estate in the barony of Imokilly was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1890. Lot 1 included Castletown House and demesne. This latter lot was sold in trust for Mr. Lincor but the sale of the remaining lots was adjourned. This family was related to the Penrose Fitzgeralds and Judkin Fitzgeralds.
Fitzgerald/Penrose Fitzgerald (Corkbeg) In 1667 Garrett Fitzgerald was granted the castle, town and lands of Kilcorkbegg alias Corkbeg with other lands in the barony of Imokilly, county Cork. Robert Fitzgerald of Lisquinlan and Corkbeg, county Cork, settled his Corkbeg estate by deed dated 30 April 1715 and his Lisquinlan estate by his will dated 10 June 1718 on his grandnephew, Robert Uniacke, son of Thomas Uniacke, MP. Robert assumed the name of Fitzgerald and married Frances Judkin of Greenhills, county Tipperary as his first wife. They had two sons, the younger of whom became Sir Thomas Fitzgerald Judkin of Lisheen, county Tipperary in 1801. The elder son, Robert Uniacke Fitzgerald of Lisquinlan and Corkbeg, had one son, Robert Uniacke Fitzgerald, who married Gertrude, daughter of Thomas Lyon of Watercastle, Queen's County (Laois) and of Mount Blakeney but they had no children. Mrs Fitzgerald owned an estate in the parish of Kilbreedy Minor, barony of Coshma, county Limerick at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1794, R.U. Fitzgerald's eldest sister, Louisa, married James Penrose of Woodhill, county Cork. Their daughter, Anne Penrose, married Thomas Stewart and came to possess the Mount Blakeney estate and their son, Robert Uniacke Penrose-Fitzgerald, held land at the time of Griffith's Valuation in the parishes of Castlemagner, barony of Duhallow and Buttevant, barony of Orrery and Kilmore but the bulk of his estate was in the barony of Imokilly where he held land in at least seven parishes. In May 1852, 1,770 acres in the baronies of Barrymore, Orrery and Kilmore, Fermoy, Duhallow and Imokilly, county Cork, the estate of Robert Uniacke Penrose Fitzgerald was advertised for sale. In the 1870s his son, Robert U.Penrose Fitzgerald of Corkbeg, Whitegate, owned 5,307 acres in county Cork and 764 acres in Queen's County (Laois). In 1896 Robert U.P. Fitzgerald was created a baronet.
Fitzgerald (Lisheen) The Fitzgerald estate of Corkbeg and Lisquinlan, county Cork, was inherited by the Uniacke family in the early 18th century. Robert Uniacke of Corkbeg took the addtional name of Fitzgerald and married Frances Judkin of Greenhils, county Tipperary. The Judkins were established in county Tipperary by the beginning of the 18th century. In 1793 Joseph Judkin bought lands in the barony of Middlethird previously the estate of Thady Meagher, attained. From Robert, the eldest son of Robert and Frances, descend the Penrose Fitzgeralds of Woodhill and Corkbeg. Their second son, Thomas, was created a baronet in 1801 and assumed the additional name of Judkin. In 1785 he married Elizabeth Capel of Cloghroe House, county Cork and was succeeded by his son, Sir John, in 1810. Thomas Judkin Fitzgerald held an estate in the parishes of Matehy and Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Sir John Judkin Fitzgerald held land in the parishes of Magorban and St Patricksrock, barony of Middlethird, Ballygriffen, barony of Clanwilliam and Clonoulty, barony of Kilmanagh Lower, county Tipperary. Fee simple lands belonging to James Horan, the assignee of Sir John Judkin Fitzgerald, baronet, in the barony of Barretts, county Cork and in the town of Cashel, county Tipperary, were offered for sale in April 1852. The latter property was eventually sold in May 1853 to Messers. Maxwell and Littleton. In 1856 the trustees of the marriage settlement of Sir John J. Fitzgerald and Mrs Elizabeth Moore, widow, advertised the sale of estates in counties Wexford (2,247 acres), Waterford (19 acres), Tipperary (1,320 acres) and Cork (218 acres). In December 1857 the 1,468 acre estate of Thomas Judkin Fitzgerald in the barony of East Muskerry was advertised for sale. The sale realised almost £20,000. By 1858 Thomas J. Fitzgerald was resident at Golden Hills which was advertised for sale that year but obviously not sold as in the 1870s Sir Joseph J.C. Fitzgerald of Golden Hills, Golden, county Tipperary and of Cloghroe, House, Inniscarra, county Cork, owned 1041 acres in county Tipperary.
Penrose (Woodhill) This was the senior branch of the Penroses of Cork, descended from a Cornish Quaker family of that name. In 1732 John Penrose married Anne, daughter of Edward Cooper of Cooper's Hill, county Laois. Their son, Cooper Penrose of Woodhill, Cork, married Elizabeth Dennis of Cork and had a son, John. In 1794 John married Louisa, daughter of Robert Uniacke-Fitzgerald of Corkbeg and Lisquinlan, county Cork. The Cooper Penrose collection of art, containing portraits of this family, is now located at the Crawford Art Gallery, Cork. http://www.crawfordartgallery.ie/images/Exhibitions/CooperPenroseCollectionbook.pdf.