Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Purcell (Burton Park)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Purcell (Rathmaher, Co Cork) Denroche was a name associated with Cork city in the late 18th century. The Purcells of Rathmaher, parish of Castlemagner, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, were a junior branch of the Purcells of Burton Park, near Buttevant, county Cork. John Purcell of Rathmaher was the second son of Sir John Purcell of Highfort, county Cork and younger brother of the Reverend Mathew Purcell of Burton Park. Charles Denroche Purcell lived at Rathmaher in the first half of the 19th century. In May 1850 almost 800 acres of Charles D. Purcell's estate was advertised for sale including Rathmaher and Woodpark. In November 1851 the rental of the fee simple estate of Charles Denroche Purcell deceased, continued in the name of Richard Purcell, was advertised for sale. This estate was situated at Knockacreagh (173 acres), Dromcolliher, barony of Upper Connello, county Limerick and 9,676 acres in the baronies of Duhallow, Imokilly, Fermoy, Orrery and Kilmore and East Muskerry, county Cork. The Freeman's Journal reported details of the purchasers. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Charles D. Purcell held an estate in the parishes of Clonfert, Drumtarriff, Ballyclogh, Knocktemple, Cullen, Drishane and Kilmeen while Charles Purcell is recorded as holding land in the parishes of Castlemagner and Kilshannig, all in the barony of Duhallow. Charles D. Purcell, no address given, owned 175 acres in the 1870s.
Purcell (Altamira) A junior branch of the Purcells of Burton Park, county Cork, the Purcells of Altamira intermarried with their cousins of Burton Park and with the Leaders of Mount Leader. In the mid 19th century Pierce Purcell held an estate in the parishes of Kilbrin, Knocktemple and Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow and Liscarroll, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. In the 1870s Pierce Purcell of Dromore, Mallow, owned 1,942 acres in county Cork. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Richard Harris Purcell, an uncle of Pierce Purcell of Altamira, held land in the parishes of Kilbolane, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, Mourneabbey, barony of Barretts and Kilcully, barony of Cork. In November 1850 the fee simple estate of Burnfort and the freehold estate of Cloghlucas, amounting to 778 acres and belonging to Richard Harris Purcell and others, was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Richard H. Purcell of Burnfort owned 737 acres in county Cork.
Purcell (Burton Park) The Purcells were settled in county Cork from the early 18th century. John Purcell of Highfort was knighted in 1811. His eldest son, Reverend Mathew Purcell, was rector of the parish of Churchtown and resided at Burton Park. In 1800 he married Elizabeth Leader of Mount Leader and they had one son and eight daughters. At the time of Griffith's Valuation their only son, John Purcell, held an estate in the parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow from the Earl of Cork and in the parish of Churchtown, barony of Orrery and Kilmore from Sir Edward Tierney. In the 1870s Mathew Purcell of Burton owned 779 acres in county Cork. The male line of this family died out in 1928 and the property passed to Anita Mary Purcell who was married to John Joseph Ryan of Scarteen, county Limerick and the Ryan Purcell family continue to live at Burton Park.
Fuge At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Fuge held land in the parishes of Ballyclough and Buttevant, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork and Lisgenan or Grange, barony of Decies-within-Drum, county Waterford. He was a barrister from Youghal who married Eliza Purcell daughter of Richard Purcell of Templemary. The Fuges inherited part of the Purcell estate when Eliza's brothers died without male heirs. In the 1870s Richard Fuge of Templemary owned 1,526 acres in the county. Richard Fuge held most of his estate as untenanted land in 1906.