Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bullen/Crofts Bullen (Ballythomas)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bullen/Crofts Bullen (Ballythomas) Gibson writes that the Bullens were descended from Jeffrey Bullen of Salle, Norfolk, grandfather of Anne Bullen or Boleyn, second wife of Henry VIII. The Bullens settled in the Kinsale area of county Cork in the 17th century. They intermarried with the Crofts family of Ballythomas, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. Robert Crofts Bullen held land in the parishes of Ballyclogh and Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, in the early 1850s. Over 600 acres belonging to Robert Bullen in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore was advertised for sale in October 1855. These lands were held on leases to Robert Crofts in the mid 18th century. Over 60 acres of the estate of William Bullen, including the house and demesne of Roughwood, located in the barony of Courceys, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in August 1855. This property was leased by Bullen from the Kearney estate. The representatives of Joseph Bullen of Cork owned 732 acres and William Bullen of Bandon owned 809 acres in the county in the 1870s.
Beare (Cork) Brady records this family as descendants of the O'Sullivan Beare and that they settled at Bearforest near Mallow. He refers to a Reverend Richard Beare who died in 1771 and had brothers named William and John. Brady also refers to the family papers being in the possession of Richard Beare Tooker of Cork. In 1743 Thomas Beare sold the lands of Knockskehy, parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, to Robert Crofts of Ballythomas. The documents in the National Archives also refer to Richard Beare of Mallow and John Beare of Lisbon. A Richard Beare also lived at Copstown, near Cork city. His estate at Copstown and other premises in Cork city were advertised for sale in October 1851, the estate of his devisee Ernest De Tocqueville of Bordeaux. In the mid 19th century Richard Beere held the townland of Copsetown, parish of Buttevant, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork, in fee. He occupied Fitz Urse Lodge, valued at £6, this house was later known as Copsetown Abbey.