Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Commissioners of Woods and Forests


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cronin (Park) The Cronins, descended from a Gaelic family, appear to have been settled in the Killarney area since at least the early 18th century. The estate amounted to over 10,000 acres in Kerry by the 1870s following Daniel Cronin’s inheriting of the Coltsmann (Flesk Castle) estate in the mid-19th century. The representatives of Henry M. Cronin were the proprietors of over 700 acres at the same time. In 1854, over 7000 acres of this estate, in which members of the Coltsmann and Godfrey families also had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Purchasers of lots included Denis Shine Lawlor, The McGillycuddy and Dr. Maybury as well as lands purchased in trust. Further property, mostly in county Cork, was offered for sale in October of the same year. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Daniel Cronin was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Killaha, Kilnanare and Nohavaldaly, county Kerry, as well as the parish of Kilmocomoge, barony of Bantry, county Cork. His sister, Christina Duggan, formerly Cronin, was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilnanare, Molahiffe and Nohavaldaly, barony of Magunihy, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. In the 1870s she was the proprietor of over 700 acres in county Kerry. For over a century the Cronins had a lease from the Crown of lands in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. When the lease expired in the early 1830s the property was placed in the care of the Commissioners of Woods and Forests.
Dunscombe (Mount Desert & Kingswilliamstown) A family originally from Devon who settled in county Cork in the mid 17th century. In 1703 William "Duncomb" purchased the lands of Currikippane East and West, in the South Liberties of Cork city, from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates. In 1764 Nicholas Dunscombe of Mount Desert, barony of Cork, married Mary Parker of Inchigagin, county Cork and had seven sons. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Nicholas Dunscombe held land in the parishes of Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry and Currykippane, barony of Cork. The ''Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues'' 1856, [published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145] records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by Nicholas Dunscombe (1,063 acres) in 1855. In 1858 Nicholas Dunscombe, son of Parker Dunscombe and his wife Jane Waggett, bought the Scully part of the Kingwilliamstown's estate in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork and went to live at Kingwilliamstown House. In July 1859 the county Limerick estate of Parker Dunscombe was advertised for sale. The estate amounted to over 4,000 acres in the barony of Connello Upper [actually in barony of Glenquin], county Limerick, most of it held from Dame Charlotte O'Brien by fee farm grant dated 1852. In the 1870s Nicholas Dunscombe of Mount Desert owned 1,126 acres in county Cork and Nicholas Dunscombe of Kingwilliamstown owned 2,678 acres.
Commissioners of Woods and Forests In the first half of the 19th century the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, a state department, held land from the Crown in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, which they improved by various drainage schemes and other experimental improvements. At the time of Griffith's Valuation they held 5 townlands in the parish. The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by Nicholas Dunscombe (1,063 acres), Richard Tuohill (1,013 acres), James William Mackey (789 acres), Charles Mackey (587 acres) and Vincent Scully MP (1,014 acres). Kingswilliamstown and Glencollins Upper and Lower, were bought by Vincent Scully who sold them on in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1858 to Nicholas Dunscombe. By the mid 1870s the Commissioners of Woods and Forests only owned 25 acres in county Cork.
Scully (Kilfeakle & Mantle Hill) The Scullys of county Tipperary descend from Jeremiah Scully who was established at Cashel in the mid 17th century. James Scully (1737-1816) established a bank in the town of Tipperary. Jeremiah Scully held land in the parishes of Grean and Tuoghcluggin, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, while at the same time James and Rodolphus Scully held land in the parishes of Inishlounaght, Newchapel and Kilmurry, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary. William F. Scully of Ballinclough was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Islandikane and Kilbride, barony of Middlethird, county Waterford, at the same time. William Scully of Ballilnclough owned 1,354 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. Over 1000 acres of this estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in April 1861. Griffith's Valuation records the estate of Vincent Scully in the parishes of Donohill, Rathlynin, Relickmurry and Athassel, barony of Clanwilliam. William Scully also held land in some of these parishes. The estate of Vincent Scully consisting of 3,166 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary and Kingwilliamstown, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, was advertised for sale in November 1857. The Kingwilliamstown estate had been purchased a few years previously in the Encumbered Estates' Court from the Commissioners of Woods and Forests. The estate of Caroline Mackey, widow and executrix of Charles Mackey, at Tooreenclassagh, part of the Kingwilliamstown estate, was advertised for sale in February 1875. The Mackeys may have purchased from the Scully sale. In the 1870s James Scully of Elgin Road, Dublin, owned 2,662 acres, Rodolph Scully of Fitzgibbon Street, Dublin owned 2,695 acres and Vincent Scully of Castle Park, Cashel owned 5,599 acres in county Tipperary. In May 1878 Vincent Scully's estate in the baronies of Slievardagh, and Middlethird was advertised for sale.
Tuohill Richard Tuohill a medical doctor of 6 Merrion Square, Dublin, owned 1,779 acres in county Cork, 1,164 acres in county Kerry and 480 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of 1,013 acres of the Kingwilliamstown estate in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, by Dr Richard Tuohill in April 1855, for £1,620.
Mackey The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by James William Mackey (789 acres) and Charles Mackey (587 acres) in 1855. In the 1870s Sir James William Mackey of Dublin and Kingwilliamstown owned 1,377 acres in county Cork. He was an alderman of Dublin and had served as Lord Mayor in 1866 and 1873. He was made a knight in 1874. Sir James was the son of Stephen Mackey, a merchant of Dublin. He was born in 1816 and married Hannah Sylvia, daughter of Sylvanus Jones of Kircullen House, county Galway in 1848. Almost 600 acres, the property of Caroline Mackey, was sold in the Landed Estates Court in February 1875. The purchasers included Sir J.W. Mackey and William Blennerhassett.