Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Purcell (Altamira)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Purcell (Altamira) A junior branch of the Purcells of Burton Park, county Cork, the Purcells of Altamira intermarried with their cousins of Burton Park and with the Leaders of Mount Leader. In the mid 19th century Pierce Purcell held an estate in the parishes of Kilbrin, Knocktemple and Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow and Liscarroll, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. In the 1870s Pierce Purcell of Dromore, Mallow, owned 1,942 acres in county Cork. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Richard Harris Purcell, an uncle of Pierce Purcell of Altamira, held land in the parishes of Kilbolane, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, Mourneabbey, barony of Barretts and Kilcully, barony of Cork. In November 1850 the fee simple estate of Burnfort and the freehold estate of Cloghlucas, amounting to 778 acres and belonging to Richard Harris Purcell and others, was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Richard H. Purcell of Burnfort owned 737 acres in county Cork.