Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Purcell (Kanturk & Glannanore)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Purcell (Kanturk & Glannanore) This family of Purcells were resident at Kanturk House, county Cork, in the early 18th century but by the early 19th century were established at Glannanore, Castletownroche, county Cork. Kanturk House was demolished in 1853. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend George Purcell held a townland in the parish of Clonmeen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. In July 1850 one undivided moiety of the lands of Upper Gurtinard, 134 acres in the parish of Clonmeen, was advertised for sale, the estate of Letitia Purcell of the city of Manchester, widow. In the 1870s the Reverend Francis Talbot Purcell of England owned 930 acres in county Cork, 1,217 acres in county Meath, 520 acres in county Dublin and 300 acres in King's County [county Offaly].
Devonsher (Kilshannig) Abraham Devonsher, the Cork banker and Member of Parliament for Rathcormac, county Cork, died without heirs in 1783 and his estate was inherited by his grand nephew John Newenham, who took the additional name of Devonsher. John Devonsher Newenham married Cornelia Schuyler and had a son Arbraham John Devonsher. Abraham J. Devonsher sold Kilshannig to the Roches when he ran into financial difficulties and at the time of Griffith's Valuation was resident at Mountain Lodge, Ballyda, Rathcormack. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Abraham Devonsher held an estate in the parishes of Gortroe, Rathcormack and Carrigtohill, barony of Barrymore, county Cork. In the 1870s Abraham John Devonshire owned 1,015 acres in county Cork.