Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Allen (Clashanure & Liscongill)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Allen (Clashanure & Liscongill) The Allens were Elizabethan settlers in county Cork. Richard Allen was established at Greenfield, parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, by the beginning of the 18th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation his descendant, William Allen of Liscongill, held an estate in the parishes of Clonfert and Tullylease, barony of Duhallow. John Allen and others were among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilfaughnabeg, barony of East Carbery, at the same time. Some of William's family settled in Natal in the late 19th century. Richard's younger brother, Kyrle, married Susanna, daughter and heiress of Joshua Dowe of Coolroe, Ballincollig and Clashenure, Ovens, county Cork. Their descendants are still living at Clashenure. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Kyrle Allen held land in the parish of Athnowen. Through the 1867 marriage of Alfred William Allen and Sarah Jane Philpot, the Philpot property of Mount Zephyr, Cullen, Millstreet, county Cork passed to the Allens. In November 1869 the estate of William Cocks Allen at Rowls Allen, barony of Duhallow, was advertised for sale. It was held under a lease dated 1758, Boyle Aldworth to Philip Allen for three lives renewable for ever. Property owned by William Allen was sold in the Landed Estates Court in November 1870. The purchasers were Messers. O'Callaghan and Murphy. In the 1870s Kyrle Allen of Clashanure owned 562 acres in county Cork. Other Allen family members owned similar acreages including the Reverend James Allen of Creagh, Skibbereen, (Liscongill family) 404 acres.