Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Perceval

Family title

Earl of Egmont, Baron Arden


Estate(s)

Name Description
Perceval In 1666 and 1668 Sir Philip Percevall was granted large estates in county Cork and over 1,000 acres in county Tipperary. His nephew, Sir John Perceval, was created Viscount Perceval of Kanturk in 1722 and Earl of Egmont in 1733. His son, John James, 2nd Earl of Egmont, married twice. The Earls of Egmont descend from his first marriage and the Barons Arden from his second marriage in 1756 to Catherine Compton, created Baroness Arden of Lohort Castle in 1770. In 1837 Lewis wrote that most of the parish of Churchtown, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, was in the possession of the Earl of Egmont. Following the death of the 5th Earl of Egmont in 1841 George James, Baron Arden, succeeded his cousin as 6th Earl of Egmont. The 5th Earl however left a large part of his estates to his agent Edward Tierney. These lands, mainly in the parish of Churchtown, were recovered by the 6th Earl following a court case in the early 1860s. in 1843 the trustees of the 6th Earl bought the Cowdray estates in Sussex on his behalf. Griffith's Valuation records the 6th Earl of Egmont holding an estate in the barony of Duhallow, county Cork, mainly in the parish of Cullen but also in the parishes of Castlemagner, Drumtarriff, Kilmeen and Ballyclogh and in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore, parishes of Bregoge, Buttevant, Churchtown and Lacken. In the 1870s the 7th Earl of Egmont owned 16,766 acres in county Cork. http://www.iol.ie/~edmo/percival.html and http://www.churchtown.net/Webpages/history/H-darrell.htm
Tierney Edward Tierney (1780-1856) was Crown Solicitor of the North West circuit. His brother, Sir Matthew Tierney, was physician to King George III and King William IV and when Matthew died in 1844 Edward succeeded as second baronet. Edward Tierney was agent and legal adviser to the 5th Earl of Egmont. The Earl left at least part of his estates to Edward Tierney when he died in 1841. Sir Edward Tierney died in 1856 leaving the Egmont [Churchtown] estates to his son-in-law, Reverend Sir Lionel Darrel. In the early 1860s the 6th Earl of Egmont took a legal action to regain the Egmont estates which was settled out of Court. The estates were returned to the Earl and Sir Lionel received £125,000 and costs. Griffith's Valuation shows the Tierney estate was centred on the parish of Churchtown, barony of Orrery and Kilmore but it also contained lands in the parishes of Bregoge, Kilbroney and Kirogan, barony of Orrery and Kilmore and in the town of Kanturk and parishes of Clonfert, Kilcorcoran and Kilmeen, barony of Duhallow and Imphrick, barony of Fermoy. The 1870s sources suggest Sir Lionel Darrell owned 30 acres in county Cork. See http://www.churchtown.net/Webpages/history/H-darrell.htm