Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hungerford (Island)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Hungerford (Goleen) Richard Hungerford, of Ballyrisode House, Goleen, was the owner of over 600 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. This is likely to be Richard Beecher Hungerford, son of Richard Hungerford of The Island (Inchydoney), Clonakilty and his wife, Frances Eyre Beecher of Hollybrook. Olivia Mary Hungerford, grand-daughter of Richard Beecher, was residing at Ballyrisode until her death in 1965.
Hungerford (Island) Burke indicates that this family traditionally claimed descent from the Hungerford family of Farley in Somerset. Captain Thomas Hungerford settled in west Cork in the later seventeenth century.The Hungerfords married into many other influential families in the area including Beecher, Jones and Daunt. Both Mary Sandes Hungerford and Francis Hungerford, of The Island House, Inchydoney, were the owners of over 500 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Thomas Hungerford was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castleventry, Island and Ross, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Both Richard and Beecher Hungerford held townlands in the parish of Kinneigh at that time. Much of this land was held on lease from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In July 1852 over 800 acres in the parish of Kinneigh, barony of East Carbery, the property of Richard Hungerford, deceased, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Over 300 acres, the property of Alexander George Hungerford, was offered for sale in the court in June 1856 while 560 acres of Thomas Hungerford's estate, located in the barony of East Carbery, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in October 1859.
Jones (Drombeg) At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Catherine Jones was the lessor of property in the parishes of Kilfaughnabeg, barony of East Carbery and Dromdaleague, barony of West Carbery. Over 1400 acres of the Jones estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in April 1852. It was held under a lease from the Hollow Blades company dated October 1708. 400 acres of the estate of Harry Jones at Kilfaughnabeg was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1854. This family was connected with the Hungerford family of Cahirmore through the marriage of Alicia Jones and Thomas Hungerford in 1814.