The Hawkes family of county Cork are descended from Captain John Hawkes who first settled at Bishopstown in the county. The various branches of the family are descended from John and Corlis, the two sons of John Hawkes of Inchigagin and his wife Elizabeth Baldwin, who married in 1676. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the main part of the Hawkes estate was in the barony of East Muskerry, county Cork, but John Hawkes also held land in the parishes of Inchigeelagh and Clondrohid, barony of West Muskerry and was, along with Zachariah Hawkes, among the principal lessors in the parish of Desertserges, baronies of East Carbery and Kinalmeaky. Samuel and Isaac Hawkes held townlands in the parish of Kilmaloda at the same time. The estate of John Devonsher Hawkes of Kilcrea amounted to over 2000 acres in the 1870s.