Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Cavendish

Family title

Duke of Devonshire


Estate(s)

Name Description
Boyle (Earl of Cork and Orrery) Richard Boyle was created 1st Earl of Cork in the 1620s. The Earl of Cork’s main estates were in counties Cork and Waterford but the estate also owned significant property in county Kerry, including lands in the baronies of Corkaguiny and Dunkerron South. Smith indicates that these were purchased from John Chapman and John Stone, the original grantees after the Desmond rebellion. Roger Boyle, a younger son of the 1st Earl of Cork, was created Earl of Orrery in 1660 and was granted lands in counties Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Kilkenny in 1666 amounting to almost 14,000 acres. Roger's great grandson, John Boyle, 5th Earl of Orrery, succeeded as 5th Earl of Cork in 1753. At this time the Lismore estate and estates in England, previously part of the Boyle estate, passed to the Cavendish family. In 1748 William Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington and later 4th Duke of Devonshire, married Charlotte Boyle, only surviving child of the 3rd Earl of Burlington and 4th Earl of Cork. The Earls of Shannon descend from a younger brother of Roger, 2nd Earl of Orrery. Richard Boyle 1st Earl of Cork had been succeeded by his son Richard [who was the 2nd Earl of Cork and 1st Earl of Burlington]. It was his grandson Richard, 4th Earl, who died without male heirs in 1753. The Lismore Castle Papers now in the National Library contain extensive documentation relating to the Earl of Cork's Irish estates in the first half of the 18th century. In 1840, the Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate that some of the Boyle estate in the barony of Corkaguiny, county Kerry, was leased to Clara Hussey and that Daniel Leahy acted as agent. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, the O’Connell property at Derrynane was being leased from this estate by Maurice O’Connell. In the mid 19th century the Earl of Cork's county Cork estate was in the parishes of Kilbrin, Knocktemple, Tullylease and Clonmeen, barony of Duhallow, Ballyhay, Rathgoggan and Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, St Marys Shandon, barony of Cork. In the 1870s, when the Earl’s main address was at Frome in Somerset, England, his property in Kerry amounted to over 11,500 acres as well as over 20,000 acres in county Cork and 3,000 acres in county Limerick. His county Limerick estate was in the parishes of Askeaton, barony of Connello Lower, Cloncagh, barony of Connello Upper, Kilmoylan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Hacymys, barony of Coshma. Over 1100 acres of the Earl's estate in Kerry, including the Blasket Islands, was acquired by the Congested Districts Board in 1907. The Boyle family, Earls of Cork, acquired some of the O'Hara lands in county Sligo in the 17th century. Some of these were later sold in the early 18th century to pay the debts of Charles Boyle, 3rd Earl of Cork.
Cavendish In 1753 the Cavendish family, Dukes of Devonshire, inherited the Lismore estate, mainly located in county Waterford, following the death of the 4th Earl of Cork [and 3rd Earl of Burlington], father-in-law to the then Marquess of Hartington, later 4th Duke of Devonshire. In 1748 the Marquess had married Charlotte Boyle, only surviving child of the 4th Earl of Cork. In the 1870s, the estate of the Dukes of Devonshire in Ireland amounted to over 60,000 acres, including over 32,500 acres in county Cork and over 27,400 in county Waterford. The estate was a principal lessor in the county Cork parishes of Desertserges, barony of East Carbery, Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, Gortroe, barony of Barrymore, Brinny, Kilbrogan, Killowen, Murragh and Templemartin, barony of Kinalmeaky, Youghal, barony of Imokilly, St Finbarrs, barony of Cork, Aghera, Britway, Knockmourne, barony of Kinnatalloon but principally in the parishes of Ballynoe and Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In addition, the Ordnance Survey Name Books of 1840 record the Duke as the proprietor of a townland in the parish of Corroge, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. In 1861, the Duke offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court, houses in Dungarvan and Waterford City. Families such as the O'Neills and Kirbys held large acreages from the Duke of Devonshire in the mid 19th century. Henry Eeles was agent to the Burlington later Devonshire estate in the 18th century. The Cavendish family continue to own property in and around the town of Lismore, county Waterford, including Lismore Castle.
Fitzgibbon (Co Cork) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Cross Fitzgibbon held land from the Duke of Devonshire in the parish of Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. The representatives of Edward Fitzgibbon also held land in the neighbouring parish of Carrigrohanebeg. In February 1865 the estate of Epinetus Fitzgibbon at Oughtiherry More and Beg, barony of East Muskerry, was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Cross Fitzgibbon of Inishlurgh Abbey, Inniscarra owned 599 acres and Edward Fitzgibbon of Coachford owned 332 acres in county Cork. Victor Brave Fitzgibbon of Sydney House, Cork, owned 338 acres. In November 1884 the estate of Moore Kyrl Fitzgibbon at Cooltubrid, 141 acres in the barony of East Muskerry, was advertised for sale.
Seward (Youghal) Thomas Seward, solicitor, was a law agent for the Duke of Devonshire's estates in counties Cork and Waterford between 1817 and 1849. Lewis records him resident at The Cottage in the parish of Youghal in 1837. At the time of Griffith's Valuation he held three townlands in the parish of Youghal, barony of Imokilly, county Cork. He is well documented in the Lismore Castle Papers.
Orpen/Orpin (Cos Cork & Waterford) The Reverend Basil Orpin, rector of Ballyvourney, county Cork, was the son of the Reverend Abel Orpin, curate of Drishane, county Cork and a grandson of Robert Orpin of Dublin. W.M. Brady states that the Reverend Basil Orpin was ordained in 1786 and married Ellen Lewis, by whom he had 4 sons John, Benjamin, Richard and Basil and 4 daughters. His son Basil Orpin, a solicitor, was the legal adviser to the Duke of Devonshire's Irish estates from 1849-1879. Abel B. Orpen held land in the parish of Drishane, baronies of Duhallow and West Muskerry. John Orpen held land in the parish of Cullen, barony of Dunhallow. The Orpins bought the Marston estate from the Gumbletons in the mid 1850s. In the 1870s Basil Orpen of Marshtown, Lismore owned 403 acres in county Cork and 2,288 acres in county Waterford, while Abel Benjamin Orpen of Passage West owned 872 acres in county Cork. Abel B. Orpen was deceased by 1881 when the Cottrill estate at Passage East was offered for sale by his administratrix Catherine Pearson. John Orpin, a Dublin solicitor, who owned 220 acres in county Cork and 629 acres in county Cavan in the 1870s may also have been a member of this family.