Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Daunt (East Carbery)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Stoughton/Staughton (Kerry) Thomas Stoughton was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Caher and Dromod, barony of Iveragh and the parishes of Dysert and Rattoo, barony of Clanmaurice, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. William Stoughton held several townlands in the parish of Killury, at the same time. In the 1830s the Ordnance Survey Field Name books record the letting of property in the parish of Ballyheige, part of the Crosbie estate, to Thomas Stoughton. Kerry Supple acted as his agent. The estate of Thomas A. Stoughton of Ballyhorgan, amounted to over 11,000 acres in the 1870s while that of Charles Stoughton, of Ballynoe and London, was over 2000 acres in county Kerry. Thomas Stoughton also owned over 1200 acres in county Cork, mostly in the baronies of Kinalea and Kerrycurrihy, through the marriage of his father with Mary Daunt. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 1200 acres of the Stoughton estate in 1916. This family had close links with that of Stoughton, of Owlpen Manor, Gloucestershire.
Daunt (East Carbery) This branch of the Daunt family descends from William Daunt of the Tracton Abbey family, whom Burke claims to have acquired Kilcascan [Kilcaskan] in the early years of the eighteenth century. William O'Neill Daunt was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Ballymoney, East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s he was the owner of over 600 acres in county Cork. He was briefly MP for Mallow, 1832-33, and a well-known author on the Irish national question.
Daunt (Kinsale) Originally a Gloucestershire family, the Daunt family appear in county Cork in the early seventeenth century, notably Thomas of Owlpen Manor in Gloucestershire and Tracton Abbey, county Cork. Several members of the family owned property in the Kinsale area in the 1870s. These included the representatives of Achilles, who owned over 2000 acres and George A. who owned over 1000 acres. George A. Achilles and Arthur Daunt were among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballyfeard, Ringcurran and Tracton, barony of Kinalea, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Thomas and George held townlands in the parish of Cullen at the same time while Thomas was also a lessor in the parish of Carrigaline, barony of Kerrycurrihy. William Henry Daunt of Fahalin, Carrigaline owned 1,372 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.