It appears that the Gillmans were originally an Exeter family. Members of the family held property in several parishes in both divisions of East Carbery barony at the time of Griffith's Valuation and in the 1870s. In 1851 portions of this property were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in the name of Edward Gillman. Some of this property was held on a lease from Sir Joseph Hoare since 1791. This estate was offered for sale again in August 1852. The perpetual rent charge on the lands of Coolconnearty, barony of East Carbery (West Division), belonging to John Gillman was advertised for sale in July 1853. The lands of Sandycove, the property of Benjamin Gillman, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in May 1854. Herbert Gillman was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballymoney and Kinneigh, East Carbery at that time. In May 1854, 1200 acres of his estate were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The family also held property around Kinsale, notably in the parish of Ringrone. In October 1857, lands at Sandycove, the property of Hill Gillman, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. James Gillman was among the principal lessors in Murragh parish, barony of Kinalmeaky in 1851. Herbert and Wiliam Gillman, as executors of James Gillman, offered over 500 acres of these lands for sale in January 1862. Thomas and Henry Gillman held townlands in the parishes of Drinagh and Fanlobbus, barony of East Carbery, at the same time. Herbert and Elizabeth Gillman were among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmichael then. Several members of the family were the vendors when lands and property in the town of Dunmanway were offered for sale in January 1866. In 1869, over 200 acres at Cloonties, barony of East Carbery, owned by members of the Jackson family and John Henry Gillman, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. In January 1875 lands owned by Henry Gillman at Ballydanielmore were sold in the Landed Estates Court. The purchaser was John Charles Bennett of Bennett's Court.
Over 800 acres of Edward Gillman's estate in the west division of East Carbery barony were offered for sale in June 1876. They were held on fee farm grant from James Levis, who in turn was leasing Church lands. In 1852, Bennett Gillman was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmocomoge, barony of Bantry. Over 150 acres in the barony of Ibane and Barryroe, the property of Thomas Gillman, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1877. The Irish Times reported that they were purchased by George Lucas of Bandon.