Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Westropp (Ballynolan & Ardcanny)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Morgan (Bridestown) Peter Westropp Morgan is recorded as the eldest son of Edward Morgan of Bridestown House, county Cork, in his obituary in the ''Limerick Chronicle'' of 16 July 1895. It also states that he was a grandson of Richard Spread of Ballycannon and Springfield, county Cork and a grandnephew of the Reverend Thomas Westropp of Ballynolan. Bence Jones refers to Jonathan Morgan, a late 18th century wine merchant of Cork. The Morgans held land in the parishes of Ardnageehy, Lisgoold and Rathcormack, barony of Barrymore, county Cork, in the mid 19th century. In 1858 Captain Richard Spread Morgan, the third son of Edward, married Lady Catherine Louisa, daughter of the 3rd Earl Mountcashell but they later separated. In the 1870s Edward Morgan of Bridestown, Rathcormack, county Cork, owned 279 acres in county Limerick and 1,987 acres in county Cork, while Peter W. Morgan owned 159 acres in county Limerick.
Westropp (Ballynolan & Ardcanny) The Reverend Thomas Westropp held an estate in the parishes of Stradbally and Killeenagarriff, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He was rector of Ardcanny and Prebendary of Limerick. He was a son of the Reverend Thomas Westropp, rector of Doonass, county Clare and his wife Eliza Stacpoole of Cragbrien and a descendent of Thomas Westropp of Mellon and his wife Elizabeth Bury. He married three times and in the 1870s owned 581 acres in county Limerick.
Spread In March 1702 William Spread of Ballycanneen, North Liberties of Cork, bought the town and lands of Ballycanneen for £499 from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates. At the same time John Spread of Cork, merchant, purchased land in the barony of Muskerry, formerly part of the Clancarty estate. Brian de Breffney writes that they were brothers. In 1794 Richard Spread of Ballycannon, county Cork married Susanna Westropp of Ballynolan, county Limerick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Spread held an estate in the parishes of Cannaway and Matehy, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork, while the Reverend William Spread held land in the parish of Aglishdrinagh, barony of Orrery and Kilmore. At the same time the representatives of William Spread held land in the parish of Currykippane, barony of Cork. In the mid 1870s John Spread of Pembridge Crescent, London, owned 1,037 acres in county Cork.