The Tuthill family settled in county Limerick in the early 18th century. John Tuthill of Kilmore was the eldest son of George Tuthill's 1740 marriage to Dorothea Villiers of county Kilkenny. His younger brother was Christopher Tuthill of Faha. John Tuthill assumed the name of Villiers in March 1794 in accordance with the will of his uncle Edward Villiers of Kilpeacon and married Elizabeth Jackson of Fanningstown. They had 5 sons including Christopher Devonsher Tuthill from whom the Tuthills of Moyglare, county Kildare descend. The eldest son George Tuthill of Kilmore & Ballyteigue, county Limerick married Catherine daughter of Henry Langley of Lisnamrock Castle, county Tipperary. John L. Tuthill held land in the parishes of Caherconlish and Killeenagarriff, barony of Clanwilliam and Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper and Croagh, barony of Connello Lower in the 1850s. The estate of John and George Tuthill amounting to 1,312 acres including Mulkear was advertised for sale in July 1854. The purchasers included Archdeacon Tisdall and Mr. Hugh Stanley while other parts of the property were purchased in trust. Captain William Tuthill of Moyglare owned 286 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s and a further 821 acres in the same county in association with William Bredin. In 1792 George Tuthill of Kilmore, the eldest son of John and Elizabeth, married Catherine Langley of Lisnamrock, county Tipperary and their grandsons eventually emigrated to Australia and the USA. In February 1851 the lands of Greenhills were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, the purchaser was William Johnstone.