Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Beere


Estate(s)

Name Description
Beere At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Beere held two townlands in the parish of Bohola and one townland in the parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, which he would appear to have bought from the sale of the Knox of Castlereagh estate. Richard Beere is recorded as owning 754 acres in county Mayo later in the nineteenth century.
Deane Thomas Deane, a merchant, was granted over 1,500 acres mainly in the baronies of Clare and Dunmore, county Galway, including Castlemoyle and Toghermore, but also in the barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, by patent dated 2 June 1677. Stephen Deane was granted lands in the baronies of Loughrea, Moycullen and Athenry, county Galway and in the barony of Carra, county Mayo in May 1677. The Deanes held land in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway, in the late 18th century and also in the town of Galway. By the end of the 18th century Ambrose Deane was bankrupt and in 1790 sold Toghermore to John Henry of Dublin and Castlemoyle was sold to Valentine O'Connor in 1796. Ambrose Deane died intestate in 1792 and one of his sisters succeeded to the Deane estate of Balrobuck, parish of Annaghdown. She was married to Dominick Skerrett of Ballinduff. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward H. Deane held land in the parish of Cummer, barony of Clare. In the 19th century Edward Deane was agent to Christopher McManus of Barleyhill and leased land in the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. The Deanes appear to have lent money to the McManuses and in the early 1850s Edward Deane went to America to escape his creditors. He was married to Esmy O'Flaherty of Lisdonagh, near Headford, county Galway. A brother and sister of Edward Deane's married members of the McDermott family of Coolavin, county Sligo.
Beere (Co Tipperary) Members of the Beere family were solicitors and land agents. Richard Beere, fourth son of Thomas Beere of Lisheveen, county Tipperary and Mary Mase entered the King's Inns in 1813. His affidavit was sworn by Usher Beere. Usher Beere held approximately 560 acres at Liskeveen, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary in the mid 19th century. The Beeres were related to the Goings who held the rest of this large townland. Usher Beere was subsheriff of county Tipperary in 1817. In 1837 Lewis refers to the residence of R. Beere at Liskevin. In the 1870s the representatives of Richard Beere of Dublin owned 24 acres in county Tipperary.
Going (Liskeveen) The Goings of Ballyphilip and Liskeveen, county Tipperary, both descend from James Going, a younger brother of Robert Going of Traverstown. In 1744 Stephen Going of Liskeveen married Elizabeth, daughter of Hercules Beere of Ballyhohan, and they had a number of sons who lived at Newhill and Liskeveen. Liskeveen is a large townland of 1,453 acres and at the time of Griffith's Valuation was held by Usher Beere and Samuel Murray Going. In 1837 Lewis refers to residences at Liskevin held by R. Beere, T. Millet and J. Going. In 1848 Samuel M. Going married his cousin, Dorothea Going of Ballyphilip, and they had one son, John Thomas Going, and two daughters. Margaret married Owen Lloyd Mansergh of Heathview in 1883 and Mary, who married Henry Armstead Braddell of Mondeligo, county Cork in 1893. In the mid 1870s Samuel M. Going of Liskeveen House owned 2,522 acres in county Tipperary. The lands of Noard and Newhill held in fee by the trustees of the will of Christopher Domville were advertised for sale in March 1863. John T. Going was the tenant of Newhill. see http://bz.llano.net/gowen/dud/manuscript/Gowenms053.htm