Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Aldworth


Estate(s)

Name Description
Aldworth The Aldworths settled in county Cork in the early 17th century and were established at Newmarket by the end of that century. The family intermarried with the St Legers of Doneraile, the Rogers of Lota and the Olivers of Castle Oliver, county Limerick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Oliver Aldworth of Newmarket, county Cork, held a large estate [at least twenty eight townlands] in the parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. He also held land in the parish of Killeedy, barony of Glenquin, county Limerick. Robert Aldworth held land in the parish of Grenagh, barony of Barretts. In July 1871 the estate of Charles Oliver Aldworth amounting to 663 acres at Ballybrack, barony of Barrymore, held in fee simple, was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Richard O. Aldworth of Newmarket owned 8,064 acres in county Cork and 675 acres in county Limerick. At the same time brothers of Richard O. Aldworth, namely Colonel Robert Aldworth of Montenotte, Cork, Captain St Leger Aldworth of Queenstown and Reverend John Aldworth of Glanworth and England, owned 1,149 acres, 1,644 acres and 556 acres respectively. Reverend John's son, Charles Oliver Aldworth of Poulacarry, Riverstown, also owned 830 acres in the county.
Connell (Cork) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles Connell held some land in the parish of Whitechurch, barony of Cork and John Connell held land in the parish of Aghinagh, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. The lands of Dysart, Myshell and Tullig, barony of East Muskerry and Carhue, barony of Cork were advertised for sale on 17 April 1858 by James John Giltrap, administrator of the estate of Charles Connell, deceased. These lands were held on leases to Cornelius Connell in the 1780s from Thomas Butler and Amos Godsell. An undivided moiety of and in the lands of Upper and Lower Scarteen, barony of Duhallow, was offered for sale in May 1857 by George Thomas trustee and executor of John Connell deceased and Christopher Connell his heir at law. Richard Aldworth was the owner in fee.