Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dunscombe (Mount Desert & Kingwilliamstown)


Estate(s)

Name Description
O'Brien (Cahermoyle) William Smith O'Brien was born at Dromoland, county Clare in 1803. He was the second son of Sir Edward O'Brien 4th baronet and his wife Charlotte Smith. In 1832 he married Lucy Gabbett of High Park, county Limerick. Through his mother he inherited Cahermoyle House and estate, near Newcastle West, county Limerick, previously the home of his maternal grandfather William Smith. In the early 1850s Lady O'Brien's estate was in the parishes of Clonagh, Kilscannell, Nantinan and Rathkeale, barony of Connelloe Lower and Ardagh and Rathronan, barony of Shanid, Ardagh and Killeedy, barony of Glenquin, Cloncagh, barony of Connello Upper, Effin, barony of Coshma. In the 1870s Edward W. O'Brien's estate amounted to 4,990 acres. Members of the O'Brien family still lived at Cahermoyle in the early 20th century.
Webb (Cork) John Webb, son of John Webb, a Cork merchant, entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1788, aged 17 and was awarded LL.B and LL. D in 1805. In 1805 Reverend John Webb of Cork married Miss Foot, daughter of Alderman Foot of Cork city. In 1796 Esther Webb married Francis Roche of Rochemount, county Cork. She was the daughter of John Webb and sister to Reverend John Webb LL.D of The Hill and Rosanna, county Cork. In December 1824 Reverend Dr John Webb married Johanna Waggett, daughter of Parker Dunscombe and they had two sons - John McDonnell Webb, born 1825, and Randal Webb, born 1832. Griffith's Valuation records the representatives of Reverend John Webb holding land in the parishes of Aghabulloge, barony of East Muskerry, and St Marys Shandon, barony of Cork. In the 1870s Anne Webb of Rosanna owned 78 acres, the representatives of Reverend John Webb of Cork owned 314 acres, John McDonnell Webb of the Hill, Douglas, owned 76 acres and the representatives of Randal Webb, Rosanna, owned 85 acres in county Cork.
Dunscombe (Mount Desert & Kingswilliamstown) A family originally from Devon who settled in county Cork in the mid 17th century. In 1703 William "Duncomb" purchased the lands of Currikippane East and West, in the South Liberties of Cork city, from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates. In 1764 Nicholas Dunscombe of Mount Desert, barony of Cork, married Mary Parker of Inchigagin, county Cork and had seven sons. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Nicholas Dunscombe held land in the parishes of Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry and Currykippane, barony of Cork. The ''Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues'' 1856, [published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145] records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by Nicholas Dunscombe (1,063 acres) in 1855. In 1858 Nicholas Dunscombe, son of Parker Dunscombe and his wife Jane Waggett, bought the Scully part of the Kingwilliamstown's estate in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork and went to live at Kingwilliamstown House. In July 1859 the county Limerick estate of Parker Dunscombe was advertised for sale. The estate amounted to over 4,000 acres in the barony of Connello Upper [actually in barony of Glenquin], county Limerick, most of it held from Dame Charlotte O'Brien by fee farm grant dated 1852. In the 1870s Nicholas Dunscombe of Mount Desert owned 1,126 acres in county Cork and Nicholas Dunscombe of Kingwilliamstown owned 2,678 acres.
Commissioners of Woods and Forests In the first half of the 19th century the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, a state department, held land from the Crown in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, which they improved by various drainage schemes and other experimental improvements. At the time of Griffith's Valuation they held 5 townlands in the parish. The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by Nicholas Dunscombe (1,063 acres), Richard Tuohill (1,013 acres), James William Mackey (789 acres), Charles Mackey (587 acres) and Vincent Scully MP (1,014 acres). Kingswilliamstown and Glencollins Upper and Lower, were bought by Vincent Scully who sold them on in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1858 to Nicholas Dunscombe. By the mid 1870s the Commissioners of Woods and Forests only owned 25 acres in county Cork.
Scully (Kilfeakle & Mantle Hill) The Scullys of county Tipperary descend from Jeremiah Scully who was established at Cashel in the mid 17th century. James Scully (1737-1816) established a bank in the town of Tipperary. Jeremiah Scully held land in the parishes of Grean and Tuoghcluggin, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, while at the same time James and Rodolphus Scully held land in the parishes of Inishlounaght, Newchapel and Kilmurry, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary. William F. Scully of Ballinclough was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Islandikane and Kilbride, barony of Middlethird, county Waterford, at the same time. William Scully of Ballilnclough owned 1,354 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. Over 1000 acres of this estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in April 1861. Griffith's Valuation records the estate of Vincent Scully in the parishes of Donohill, Rathlynin, Relickmurry and Athassel, barony of Clanwilliam. William Scully also held land in some of these parishes. The estate of Vincent Scully consisting of 3,166 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary and Kingwilliamstown, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, was advertised for sale in November 1857. The Kingwilliamstown estate had been purchased a few years previously in the Encumbered Estates' Court from the Commissioners of Woods and Forests. The estate of Caroline Mackey, widow and executrix of Charles Mackey, at Tooreenclassagh, part of the Kingwilliamstown estate, was advertised for sale in February 1875. The Mackeys may have purchased from the Scully sale. In the 1870s James Scully of Elgin Road, Dublin, owned 2,662 acres, Rodolph Scully of Fitzgibbon Street, Dublin owned 2,695 acres and Vincent Scully of Castle Park, Cashel owned 5,599 acres in county Tipperary. In May 1878 Vincent Scully's estate in the baronies of Slievardagh, and Middlethird was advertised for sale.