Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Creagh (Killowen)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Creagh (Bally Andrew) This family were established in county Cork from the 16th century and share a common ancestry with the Brasier Creaghs. In the mid 1740s Michael Creagh of Laurentinum, county Cork, sixth son of John Creagh of Killowen, married as his second wife, Mary Gethin, sister and heiress of Captain Richard Gethin. Their son Arthur married Isabella Bagwell in 1770 and their second son, Reverend John Bagwell Creagh, married Gertrude Miller of Toonagh, county Clare. At the time of Griffith's Valuation their son, Arthur Gethin Creagh, held land in the parish of Quin, county Limerick and in the parishes of Doneraile, barony of Fermoy and Ightermurragh, barony of Imokilly, county Cork. He and his brother John held land in the county Cork parishes of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow and Liscarroll, barony of Orrery and Kilmore. In August 1801 Michael Creagh, Reverend John Bagwell Creagh and Arthur G. Creagh leased Gooseberry Hill, barony of Duhallow to Timothy Shine. The Shine lease was advertised for sale in July 1861. In the 1870s Arthur Gethin Creagh of Carrahan, Quin, county Clare, owned 330 acres in county Clare, 538 acres in county Cork and 150 acres in county Limerick. Michael Creagh of Laurentinum was an older brother of Reverend John B. Creagh and had an only daughter, Isabella, who married John Singleton of Quinville Abbey, county Clare. In May 1850 the estate near Doneraile and in the city of Cork of Charles Wright the devisee in trust of Michael Creagh, deceased, was advertised for sale. In July 1853 an estate of 2,339 acres in the baronies of Duhallow and Fermoy again of Charles Wright, devisee in trust of Michael Creagh deceased, was advertised for sale. This estate included the houses Bettyville, Spring Grove and Hermitage. The representatives of Michael Creagh, Doneraile, owned 734 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.
Creagh/Brasier Creagh In 1779 Alderman Kilner Brooke Brasier of Rivers and Ballyvoir, Lisard, county Limerick married Mary, daughter and heiress of John Creagh, medical doctor, of Creagh Castle, Doneraile, county Cork. They had five sons and five daughters. Their second son, John, assumed the additional name of Creagh on succeeding to Creagh Castle in 1802. In 1801 he had married Elizabeth, only child and heiress of Charles Widenham of Castle Widenham, Castletownroche, county Cork. They had an only daughter who married Henry Mitchell Smyth of the Ballynatray, county Waterford family. John's brothers, William Johnson Brasier Creagh and George Washington Brasier Creagh, succeeded him respectively at Creagh Castle. At the time of Griffith's Valuation George W. Brasier Creagh's estate was located in the county Cork parishes of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, Dromdowney, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, Donaghmore, barony of East Muskerry and Castletownroche, Doneraile and Wallstown, barony of Fermoy. In July 1858 lands belonging to George W. Brasier Creagh in the north suburbs of Cork city, in the liberties of Limerick city and head rent of 1,785 acres in the barony of Glenarought, county Kerry, were advertised for sale. In January 1868 land leased to George Meyler at South Killowen, barony of Duhallow, by George W. Brasier Creagh was advertised for sale. George Washington Brasier Creagh owned 2,873 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.
Creagh (Killowen) ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' traces the descent of the Creaghs of Killowen, county Cork, from Christopher Creagh, Mayor of Cork in 1541. John Creagh medical doctor of Creagh Castle, Doneraile, county Cork, was the second son of John Creagh of Killowen who married in 1695 Elinor Barret. John Creagh MD married as his second wife Judith Shuldham of Dunmanway, county Cork and they had an only daughter Mary who married in 1779 Alderman Kilner Brooke Brasier of county Limerick. Their second son inherited Castle Creagh.
Creagh (Ballygarrett) This branch of the Creagh family are descended from William Creagh, a brother of John Creagh of Killowen, county Cork. William Creagh of Old Town, Shanballymore, county Cork, married Sarah Nagle of Annakissy. In 1803 their son Pierce Creagh [of Rockforest Cottage] married Isabella Leeson and had a son William Creagh of Ballygarrett. William Creagh held land in the parish of Clonmeen, barony of Duhallow and Clenor and Mallow, barony of Fermoy in the early 1850s. In the 1870s William Creagh of Ballygarrett owned 1,124 acres in county Cork.