Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Henry (Tipperary & Limerick)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Henry (Toghermore) Hugh Robert Henry, a younger son of Hugh Henry of Lodge Park, Straffan, county Kildare was the first member of the Henry family to reside at Toghermore in the parish of Killererin, barony of Clare, county Galway, in the early 19th century. In 1790 the Henrys had purchased Toghermore from the bankrupt Deane family. The estate of the Henrys of Toghermore was mainly in the parish of Killererin, while the Lodge Park branch of the family owned townlands in the parishes of Athenry and Lackagh. Hugh Robert Henry had four sons, the eldest, Hugh, settled at Firmount, county Kildare, Robert lived at Toghermore, the Reverend Joseph was a clergyman and missionary. He collected a library of books now housed at the Hardiman Library at NUI,Galway and James was a merchant in Peru. In the 1870s the Henrys of Firmount owned over 6,000 acres and the Henrys of Lodge Park over 1,000 acres in county Galway. Robert Henry of Toghermore also owned 412 acres in county Limerick. By March 1916 a final offer of £6,000 had been received by the Henrys of Lodge Park for their Galway acreage from the Congested Districts' Board. Cecil Henry, a younger son of Robert Henry of Toghermore, bought Crumlin House in the parish of Abbeyknockmoy from a branch of the Blakes of Ardfry in the early 1880s. Bateman mentions over 900 acres which the Lodge Park branch of the family held on perpetual lease in county Mayo in the 1880s. Over 600 acres belonging to Cecil R. Henry were vested in the Congested Districts' Board in April 1914. Toghermore was inherited by Robert Burke of the Ballydugan family, a grandson of Robert Henry, who set up a co-operative in the late 1920s. He left Tuam in the early 1950s and gave Toghermore to the State and it was used as a recovering unit for tuberculosis patients.
Henry (Tipperary & Limerick) The Henrys of counties Tipperary and Limerick were a branch of the Henry family of Straffan, county Kildare and were closely related to the Henry family of Toghermore, near Tuam, county Galway. In 1801 John Joseph Henry of Straffan married a daughter of the 2nd Duke of Leinster. He is recorded as holding land in the parish of St Nicholas, close to Limerick city, at the time of Griffith's Valuation [although he died in 1835]. His son, Charles John Henry, held an estate in the barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, mainly located in the parish of Templeachally but also in the parishes of Kilcomenty, Kilmastulla and Kilnarth. The estate of Charles John Henry amounting to over 4,000 acres in the barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale in December 1858. In May 1858 the lands of Singland, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick, [476 acres] belonging to Charles John Henry were advertised for sale. Charles John Henry lived at Fort Henry, county Tipperary. He died in 1879 and was succeeded at Fort Henry by his nephew. Untenanted land at Singland was still in the possession of Cecil R. Henry in 1906. In the 1870s Charles John Henry of Cheltenham owned 3,870 acres in county Tipperary while his cousin Robert Henry of Toghermore, county Galway, owned 412 acres in county Limerick.
Hannigan Anthony Hannigan of Dalkey, county Dublin, owned 1,832 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. He is not listed in Hussey de Burgh. [In 1821 Elizabeth Leyne married Thomas Hannigan, of Woodford, co. Cork, and a son Anthony Hannigan of Lockington House, Bray, county Wicklow, see http://www.archive.org/stream/royallineageofou04fost/royallineageofou04fost_djvu.txt ] In 1906 Agnes Mary Hanagan and Maria Louisa Hanagan held over 500 acres on untenanted land in the townlands of Ballina and Gorrlassabrien, parish of Templeachally, barony of Lower Ormond. These townlands were in the possession of Charles J. Henry at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
Digan In the mid 19th century John Digan held land and premises in Ballina by the River Shannon at Killaloe in the barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. Charles Henry was the immediate lessor of Ballina. His estate in the barony of Owney and Arra was advertised for sale in 1858. 228 acres at Ballina, the estate of Michael Dignan, trustee of John Digan, was advertised for sale in June 1865, with other lands at Drumbane, Ryninch, barony of Owney and Arra and in the town of Killaloe. These lots were sold to Messers. Pery, Hannigan, Ryan, Usborne and West, some in trust.