Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fitzgerald (Horsham)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fitzgerald/Vesey Fitzgerald Catherine Vesey Fitzgerald was elevated to the peerage of Ireland as Baroness Fitzgerald and Vesey in 1826. Her father, the Reverend Henry Vesey, was Warden of Galway and a great, great grandson of John Vesey, Archbishop of Tuam. She and her sister eventually succeeded to the estates of her father and uncles, John and Agmondisham Vesey. Her eldest son William succeeded her as Baron Fitzgerald and Vesey and died unmarried in 1843. In 1853 his executor advertised for sale lands in the baronies of Clare and Tiaquin, county Galway, amounting to almost 4,000 acres. The lands in the barony of Tiaquin were bought by the Reverend George Salmon and those in the barony of Clare by the Very Reverend Henry Vesey Fitzgerald, Dean of Kilmore, brother of Willliam and his successor as Baron Fitzgerald and Vesey. His county Galway estate was in the parishes of Belclare and Lackagh, barony of Clare and in the parish of Tuam, barony of Dunmore, while his county Clare estate was mainly in the parishes of Inchicronan, barony of Bunratty Upper and Kilkeedy, barony of Inchiquin. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Standish O'Grady of county Limerick and had 5 daughters. He died in 1860. His daughters appear to have succeeded to his county Galway estates while his sister Letitia Foster Vesey Fitzgerald's children succeeded to the county Clare estate. In the 1870s his representatives owned 1,437 acres in county Galway while Walter Trevor Stannus is recorded as owning 2976 acres. Two of the Baron's daughters married sons of the Very Reverend James Stannus, Dean of Ross, and the 5,678 acre estate of M.G. Stannus and others in county Galway was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 5 March 1914. The sale of 1,567 acres belonging to Mary G. Fitzgerald and others to the Congested Districts' Board was proceeding in 1909. P. Lane writes that Martin McDonnell bought almost 6,000 acres of Lord Fitzgerald's property around the town of Dunmore in the early 1850s.
Fitzgerald (Horsham) Sir William Robert Seymour Vesey-FitzGerald (1818 – 1885) was a British politician, Member of Parliament for Horsham and Governor of Bombay. He was a son of William Vesey-FitzGerald, 2nd Baron FitzGerald and Vesey. In 1846 he married Maria Tryphena Seymour and was succeeded in 1885 by his eldest son, Sir Gerald Seymour Fitzgerald, who married in 1862 and had three daughters. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Seymour Fitzgerald held land in the parish of Croagh, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick, most of it leased to Richard C. Smith. In May and July 1857 an estate of about 600 acres belonging to him in the barony of Connello Lower was advertised for sale. In 1862 the 3,000+ acre estate of William Robert Seymour Fitzgerald in the parish of Lismalin, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. The estate was held in fee simple and must have been purchased from the Earl of Carrick, the owner at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Three lots were sold to Mr Lysaght (in trust). The remainder comprised of 1647 acres was advertised for sale again in November 1863. However a buyer does not seem to have been found as the Right Honourable Sir William Robert Seymour Vesey Fitzgerald of Holbrook, Horsham, is recorded as owning 1,587 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. In May 1875 his fee simple and freehold estates in the barony of Slievardagh were again advertised for sale. These estates amounted to 2,540 acres and included a fee farm rent charged on 959 acres of Mohobber. Five of the eleven lots were sold on this occasion. The Irish Times reported that Messers. Cashan, Fox, Cahill and Barnes were the purchasers. The remainder were advertised for sale again on 3 December 1875. The Irish Times reported that the lots sold on that occasion were bought in trust for Michael Morris at a total cost of £11,200.