Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Donovan (Kilcrohane)


Estate(s)

Name Description
O'Donovan (Kilcrohane) The estate of Timothy O'Donovan, of O'Donovan's Cove, parishes of Durrus and Kilcrohane, amounted to almost 2000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. The estate of the late Richard O'Donovan, MD, amounted to over 1600 acres in county Cork at the same time. Both were among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilcrohane, West Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Richard and Daniel O'Donovan held townlands in the parish of Inchigeelagh in 1851. In June 1869, over 1400 acres at Coolmountain, owned by Richard Donovan and others, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The sale notice indicates that the lands were held on lease from members of the Tonson, Lords Riversdale, estate since 1832. Kathleen O'Donovan, executrix of Richard O'Donovan, offered over 1000 acres of this estate for sale in the Landed Estates Court in July 1876. The original lease, dated 1752, was between the Bishop of Clonfert, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora and William Roberts. Timothy O'Donovan had taken up the lease in 1844. The lots were sold to Messers. O'Donovan and Dalton for over £6,000.
Lavallin The Lavallin family held an estate in the Queenstown vicinity of county Cork in the late 17th century. Berkeley writes that in the late 1720s James Lavallin alienated his estates to Lord Barrymore. A long running family dispute over ownership of some of the Lavallin estates took place in the 18th century. His son Philip of Waterpark, Carrigaline married Sarah Kingston and left three daughters who married Robert St Leger Atkins, Henry Puxley of Dunboy and Dr Joseph Rogers of Seaview. In 1819 Mary daughter of Dr Rogers married Timothy O'Donovan of O'Donovan's Cove.